Horror Movies

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by Overseer
They're starting to see a heck of a revival with the successes of movies like Freddy vs. Jason, 28 Days Later, and Dawn of the Dead (go zombie films!)
I'm not much of a horror fan. I did see 28 Days Later and the remake of Dawn of the Dead. What worries me is that my "zombie avoidance plan" :D was based on "Night of the Living Dead" and (original) "Dawn of the Dead" zombies that were slow and stupid.

How the hell did the zombies evolve so rapidly?? Now they move so swiftly they appears as if they are surviving on coffee beans!? :p
(maybe they eat folks who are caffeine addicts?)

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Horror Movies

Originally posted by Patrocles
I'm not much of a horror fan. I did see 28 Days Later and the remake of Dawn of the Dead. What worries me is that my "zombie avoidance plan" :D was based on Night of the Living Dead and the original "Dawn of the Dead" zombies that were slow and stupid.

How the hell did the zombies evolve so rapidly?? Now they move so swiftly they appears as if they are surviving on coffee beans!? :p
(maybe they eat folks who are caffeine addicts?)

:laugh:

Well the zombies in Return of the Living Dead weren't all that slow either.

So has anyone on here seen any of the really interesting horror movies:

Any Argentio fans? (Suspiria, Deep Red, Tenebre?)
Fulci fans?

Any japanese horror fans? The most notable I'm thinking of being Battle Royale.

And what I really wonder: Has anyone on here seen what may be the most controversial and hard to find - Cannibal Holocaust?

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by terry patterson
fast zombies seem to be a trend,i think the slower,lumbering zombies are scarier.they alowed you more time to think about the horrible death that was coming.
Yeah, the fun thing about slow zombies was they allowed you to build the tension up nice and slow. There'd be so many of them you could never get away, and they just slowly closed in.

I'm assuming that Romero's fourth Dead film won't deviate from the others and you'll see him show the world how slow zombies can be scary again.

Fast zombies became the thing because people today prefer the fast scares. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Dawn remake and 28 Days Later, any zombies are good in my book, they're just different styles.

Stage

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't like most horror movies because basicly I think that they're silly. Very few movies have ever scared me . However, there are a few which have:

1. The Changeling
(If you have never seen this movie, it will scare the crap out of you. It stars George C. Scott as a musician who recently lost both his wife and daughter in a car crash. He moves into an old house to work on his music and finds that the ghost of a crippled child is in the house and is DESPERATELY trying to reach someone.
There is no gore in this movie. It's just an honest to God frightening movie.)

2. The Excorsist (y'all know about this one so I'll skip the description except to say that the actual case that the film is based on happened in my city (St. Louis) back in 1947.)

3. Alien (the original)

4. The Sixth Sense

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by terry patterson
fast zombies seem to be a trend,i think the slower,lumbering zombies are scarier.they alowed you more time to think about the horrible death that was coming.
turning up the suspense!! ha ha

Hey, has anyone read the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks? According to Amazon MB is the son of Mel Brooks? I'll have to give it a peek next time I'm in the bookstore.
http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/zombiesurvivalguide/

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i remember when the original texas chainsaw movie hit theaters.that movie seriously messed with peoples minds.i watched it again years later,its definately hokey,but at the time it scared the crap out of a lot of people.

sickpup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, wait, I forgot to mention The Ring, and the original Japanese version Ringu.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Stage
I don't like most horror movies because basicly I think that they're silly. Very few movies have ever scared me .
Stop watching mainstream hokey ones then. ;)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
since were on a zombie theme,has anybody read a book called "the dead".read it over twenty years ago,it was the scariest zombie romp ive ever read.ive been looking for it the past year or so,but cant find any mention of it anywhere.

sickpup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Horror Movies

Any japanese horror fans? The most notable I'm thinking of being Battle Royale.
For some reason, I never really considered Battle Royale to be a horror flick... a unique (read: controversial) one, though. :)

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Horror Movies

Originally posted by sickpup
For some reason, I never really considered Battle Royale to be a horror flick... a unique (read: controversial) one, though. :)
Yeah, I don't know that I would call it horror either, but I think it fits in that category better than much else.

Either way I think the film is incredibly well done. To me, the vast majority of the characters in the film seemed to have unique and interesting personalities, even if they were only on the screen for five minutes (before dying).

Thomas McPeek

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's see in no particular order Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(original) Day of the Dead, Alien(original) Aliens,Halloween 1 & 2, Phantasm, The Omega Man, Salem's Lot(original) The Thing (original & remake) Evil Dead 1&2, Army of Darkness, The Shining (original) Resident Evil(looking forward to the next one) The Ring and 28 Days Later:thumb:

Scout Out

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer,

Any japanese horror fans?
Actually I've only seen two on IFC. Don't think it makes me a fan. Can't remember the name of one but the other was "Ôdishon" or "Audition". Watched it late into the night and thought it was brilliant. The ending was as shocking as it was horrific.
:shock: :scream: :shock:

Luved both just can't remember title of the one...

The one you mentioned "Battle Royale" is good horror? I'll look into it while waiting for your reply.
:toast:

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Stand was cool, I just love the one part where Flagg walks up to his soon to be right hand man and goes, "Pleased to meet you, hoped you guessed my name." And the guy looks confused and says, "What?" Flagg: "Nevermind, it's a classical reference."

Van Helsing I refused to watch because I couldn't even stomach watching the trailer, and Underworld was horribly disappointing for me (although it was Kate Beckinsale in tight leather at least).

Here's a Vampire movie you've probably never seen: "Near Dark" It was made in 1987 I believe, and stars Lance Henrikson, Bill Paxton, and the woman who played Vasquez in Aliens. It's a western meets a horror movie basically.
Saw that one...........I almost bought it the other day on DVD. Its a $9 special now.
It was a good movie. The little kid freaked me out.

Lost Boys was a good one, too.

Mark
Deo Vindice

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guys who liked "The Stand" by Stephen King need to find a book called "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. It's based on a post-nuclear war theme. Great read...............
Another great read is "The Talisman" by Stephen King and some other guy........cant think of his name.

Mark
Deo Vindice