Horror Movies

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I'm wondering how many people on the forums like horror movies. A recent conversation with Marines (who for some reason I wouldn't have expected to love the Romero films also) made me think to ask. What's the best you've seen?

They're starting to see a heck of a revival with the successes of movies like Freddy vs. Jason, 28 Days Later, and Dawn of the Dead (go zombie films!)

Some upcoming ones to watch for:
Saw trailer second trailer

Haute Tension (the greatest thing to ever come out of France) .Trailer - click on the picture under Bande-Annonce

and Devil's Rejects (Rob Zombie's next movie, which looks to be far, far, far superior to House of 1,000 Corpses) No trailer, just finished up shooting the movie.

Reaction score
I have to admit the horror genre is one that really escapes my understanding............I never could see why people would pay money to be scared.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I have to admit the horror genre is one that really escapes my understanding............I never could see why people would pay money to be scared.
Well, I haven't really found any that scare me per se. But I have found that some of the more obscure horror movies have some of the most interesting characters, well done shots, and incredible visuals (for example, see Argentio's "Suspiria" for some of the most beautiful sets and interesting lighting).

michammer

Reaction score
Country
ll
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I agree. I have never seen a horror movie advertised that has made me want to go and watch it. I think the only one I have ever watched is Poltergeist - if that can be considered one.

Scout Out

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Horror movies are hard to define. I consider "The Hulk" a horror movie, as well as "Alien" and "Seven". Even though one is considered Sci-Fi and the other Crime Drama. :shock:

Vincent Price, has always been a favorite of mine when it comes to Horror. Even though many never really frightened me. "TALES FROM THE CRYPT", runs the spectrum of funny, serious and everything inbetween. "TALES FROM THE HOOD", was a good horror flick and really enjoyed it. "Army of the Dead" was billed Horror, but come on I was rolling. :laugh:

Not a fan of "Freddy or Jason" :drool: , but do enjoy Zombie flicks. Giants, whether they be 50 foot Women, Spiders, Octopus, Godzilla or King Kong (the original), are fun to watch.

Original "Outer Limits" :bowdown: and "Twilight Zone" had many stories of Horror. The Remakes have been lukewarm at best IMHO.

Dracula, Frankenstien, Werewolf are classic horror but they don't scare me. Ghosts can be scary. Growing up, The orginal "13 ghosts" scared the pants off me. Also "The Exorcist", had its moments. So did "Night of the Living Dead". :scream:

And i absolutly luv "The Simpson's Halloween Specials". :thumb: :demon: :thumb:

Found this while surfing and figure it would be good to post here.

When it appears that you have killed the monster, never check to see if it's really dead.

If you find that your house is built upon or near a cemetery, was once a church that was used for black masses, had previous inhabitants who went mad or committed suicide or died in some horrible fashion, or had inhabitants who performed necrophilia or satanic practices in your house move away immediately.

Never read a book of demon summoning aloud, even as a joke.

Do not search the basement, especially if the power has just gone out.

If your children speak to you in Latin or any other language which they should not know, or if they speak to you using a voice which is other than their own, shoot them immediately. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run. NOTE: It will probably take several rounds to kill them, so be prepared.

When you have the benefit of numbers, never pair off and go it alone.

As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.

Never stand in, on, above, below, beside, or anywhere near a grave,tomb,crypt, mausoleum, or other house of the dead.

If you're searching for something which caused a noise and find out that it's just the cat, leave the room immediately if you value your life.

If appliances start operating by themselves, move out.

Do not take anything from the dead.

If you find a town which looks deserted, it's probably for a reason.Take the hint and stay away.

Don't fool with recombinant DNA technology unless you're sure you know what you are doing.

If you're running from the monster, expect to trip or fall down at least twice, more if you are of the female persuasion. Also note that, despite the fact that you are running and the monster is merely shambling along, it's still moving fast enough to catch up with you.

If your companions suddenly begin to exhibit uncharacteristic behavior such as hissing, fascination for blood, glowing eyes, increasing hairiness, and so on, get away from them as fast as possible.

Stay away from certain geographical locations, some of which are listed here: Amityville, Elm Street, Transylvania, Nilbog (God help you if you recognize this one), the Bermuda Triangle, or any small town in Maine.

If your car runs out of gas at night, do not go to the nearby deserted-looking house to phone for help.

Beware of strangers bearing tools such as chainsaws, staple guns, hedge trimmers, electric carving knives, combines, lawnmowers, butane torches,soldering irons, band saws, or any device made from deceased companions.

Listen closely to the soundtrack; and pay attention to the audience,since they are usually far more intelligent than you could ever hope to be.
Horror is an interesting type of film entertainment. I like it!

:scream::toast:

Marines

Reaction score
I know they are more of the sci-fi/horror genre but mine would have to be Aliens and Alien 3. Then of course Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Cabin Fever the list goes on.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
i'll go for an occasional scare the crap out of you film such as ghost ship, cabin fever, and 28 days later.

ghost ship...?

Come on... that was garbage. :p

Horror is tough to define actually as a genre itself. I think it's one that just mixes easily with other genres. Se7en is a great example (and such a good movie). Silence of the Lambs is another example of something that fits as horror but most wouldn't think of it as such.

Haha and that post is great:

As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.
Hellraiser is one of my favorites. :D

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ahh, now here's a good thread.

Survival horror is one of my needs in life, whether it's a movie or game. Absolutley love a good one!

Just watched 28 Days Later, the first half of which was good. Good locations around England, too. Also just caught The Ring again; still trying to figure out what the girl really was, and what was she doing to the horses. Other recent viewings include Gothika and Scary Movie 3. :p

I'd love to see someone do the Silent Hill series justice on the big screen. Also looking forward to the next Resident Evil. Milla Jovovich, yummy...

Carrie. Still damn scary to this day. But, of course, I've yet to see anything that comes close to The Exorcist, in terms of horror and cinematics.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno

Survival horror is one of my needs in life, whether it's a movie or game. Absolutley love a good one!

Just watched 28 Days Later, the first half of which was good. Good locations around England, too. Also just caught The Ring again; still trying to figure out what the girl really was, and what was she doing to the horses. Other recent viewings include Gothika and Scary Movie 3. :p

I'd love to see someone do the Silent Hill series justice on the big screen. Also looking forward to the next Resident Evil. Milla Jovovich, yummy... (Will Alyssa be jealous?)

Carrie. Still damn scary to this day. But, of course, I've yet to see anything that comes close to The Exorcist, in terms of horror and cinematics. (Yeah both freaky... ESPECIALLY the Exorcist!)

sickpup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love horror movies… the only problem is getting my wife to watch them with me. I can’t say that I’ve seen any of the most recent ones, but I do have a few favorites.

The scariest movies I think I’ve ever seen were Alien (the first one) and the remake of The Thing. I also go for the quirky Raimi movies (Army of Darkness, especially).

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gotta love horror flicks..................how about Stephen King's "The Stand"...........good one but not scary.

The scariest movie I have ever seen in my life I watched when I was about 10...........it still creeps me out when I watch it......."Salems Lot". Of course..........the books are always better.

Pet Semetary, Rose Red........TX Chainsaw Massacre I (the springoffs are too sappy.)

I love the zombie movies...........Return of the Living Dead I, II, and III.
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead

Vampires are my thing, though..............give me a good vampire flick any day...........Just waiting for "VanHelsing" to come out on DVD.

Vampires are making a comeback............if you havent seen it yet, watch "Underworld"............you get two for the money......vampires and werewolves.

Mark
Deo Vindice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the movie that scared me the most was "the birds".saw it the first time when i was just a little kid, and it terrified me.to make matters worse my room was in our basement,worse still was the fact i had saloon style doors on my room.not much there to keep the monsters out.needless to say my light stayed on all night!

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno

I'd love to see someone do the Silent Hill series justice on the big screen. Also looking forward to the next Resident Evil. Milla Jovovich, yummy...

Carrie. Still damn scary to this day. But, of course, I've yet to see anything that comes close to The Exorcist, in terms of horror and cinematics.

28 Days Later was a great zombie film and the first half, and then the second half was a great look at humanity in a very Kubrick-esque way. The Ring was cool, I don't think I was quite as big into as most other people, but I enjoyed it. Gothika had cool atmosphere but not much else. I won't talk about Scary Movie 3. :p The first Resident Evil disappointed me greatly (they should have gone with the Romero script, I hate Paul W.S. Anderson - and now he's ruining AvP too).

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by last_cav1971
Gotta love horror flicks..................how about Stephen King's "The Stand"...........good one but not scary.

I love the zombie movies...........Return of the Living Dead I, II, and III.
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead

Vampires are my thing, though..............give me a good vampire flick any day...........Just waiting for "VanHelsing" to come out on DVD.

Vampires are making a comeback............if you havent seen it yet, watch "Underworld"............you get two for the money......vampires and werewolves.

Mark
Deo Vindice
The Stand was cool, I just love the one part where Flagg walks up to his soon to be right hand man and goes, "Pleased to meet you, hoped you guessed my name." And the guy looks confused and says, "What?" Flagg: "Nevermind, it's a classical reference."

Van Helsing I refused to watch because I couldn't even stomach watching the trailer, and Underworld was horribly disappointing for me (although it was Kate Beckinsale in tight leather at least).

Here's a Vampire movie you've probably never seen: "Near Dark" It was made in 1987 I believe, and stars Lance Henrikson, Bill Paxton, and the woman who played Vasquez in Aliens. It's a western meets a horror movie basically.