Homeworld: Remastered

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very cool Scott. I knew that someone had purchased the rights to Homeworld, and I was wondering what they were doing with it.

PC Gamer magazine back in their heyday I think really nailed it with their glowing review of Homeworld. Their summary went something like this: "Homeworld is one of those rare instances in PC gaming where everything, the game play, the visuals, the story, the music, all come together to create a glorious achievement where the whole truly is greater than the sum of the parts."

I hope they give the same treatment to Homeworld: Cataclysm, which was almost as good as the original, though as far as I'm concerned they can ignore the very forgettable Homeworld 2.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
What do I want? I want Homeworld to look like EVE Online. Make it happen.

That would be an acceptable lead in to Homeworld 3. And by the way, why the hell is this taking so long? We should be on Homeworld 5 by now... :bigfire:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What do I want? I want Homeworld to look like EVE Online. Make it happen.

That would be an acceptable lead in to Homeworld 3. And by the way, why the hell is this taking so long? We should be on Homeworld 5 by now... :bigfire:
This game has been impossible to find and yet it retains such legendary status in the sci-fi strategy category. Honestly, don't up its graphics, keep it the same as when the game was first released like what they did with AoEII HD. It's also one of the games I've been dying to play as I got into PC gaming as more of FPS player around the time it was released and didn't bother with strategy games until much later.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I should be excited about this, but I'm not. It merely reminds me that the most exciting thing in gaming is a remastered game from eight years ago. Not even a sequel.

This really isn't anything to rejoice, as we ought to be getting Homeworld 5 by now, and it ought to be so badass it melts sidewalks.

Instead, the gaming industry is benevolently allowing us to by the game we already own again.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should be excited about this, but I'm not. It merely reminds me that the most exciting thing in gaming is a remastered game from eight years ago. Not even a sequel.

This really isn't anything to rejoice, as we ought to be getting Homeworld 5 by now, and it ought to be so badass it melts sidewalks.

Instead, the gaming industry is benevolently allowing us to by the game we already own again.
Well said, Don. This should go in the "As if more proof is needed that gaming is dead" thread. :) I find it interesting that my gaming time continues to decline as gaming slips from being my go-to hobby. Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall are the only games I have been playing lately. Interestingly, both have old school values of great writing, immersive settings, and uncluttered gameplay. Go figure.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having missed out on Homeworld and having listened to and read about all of the praise this game has gotten within the gaming community, I am honestly happy to see the available again. For me, it came out when I was strictly a console gamer and when I finally became a PC gamer, it was hard to find and the games I was playing were quite different in taste (Morrowind, Shogun Total War, Worms, Operation Flashpoint, Dune 2000, Red Alert, and Star Craft.) When my tastes started to expand the only thing I could find was a demo on Fileplanet that wasn't very helpful. I have been waiting for years to give this game a try so I'm one of those people who is genuinely excited to see this game being offered again. This is also true most other older games that I missed. Without GoG and Steam (finally adding older games to its library), I would never have access to them and spend the rest of my gaming career just hearing them and or watching Youtube videos of other people playing them.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the game when it came out and loved it. Played the sequel when it came out and liked it, not quite up to par with the first. I tried to play it again not so long ago but couldn't get it to run with windows 7. Was really bummed and am very glad it's getting updated. I will certainly be watching how the reviews go. I will not buy it right off. And yes I agree that he game was abandoned with still so much potential. Hope it stacks up, I have really good memories playing this game while my son watched patiently awaiting his turn.