HomerCon 2005

Kishel

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you have to pre-register for this Con?
Who do you get in contact with?
Anyone here going to it?
What games they have planned?

I am planning to go on friday night or saturday morning and just bringing some games along and seeing what happens. I will probably bring one NBS, CWS, and SCS game from my collection and maybe my ASL stuff and see what happens.

Thanks in advance

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Kishel said:
Does anyone know if you have to pre-register for this Con?
Who do you get in contact with?
Anyone here going to it?
What games they have planned?

I am planning to go on friday night or saturday morning and just bringing some games along and seeing what happens. I will probably bring one NBS, CWS, and SCS game from my collection and maybe my ASL stuff and see what happens.

Thanks in advance
The thing you might want to do is find a motel room. Many people stay in the Red Roof Inn on Neill street in Champaign. Dean usually sets up a block of rooms for people. There is no registration - just sign in at the door (basically so you get your name in Ops magazine), find an opponent, select a game one of you brought and wail away at each other. There are also games in playtest, so you can sign up for those, too. Playtesters usually get free copies when the game gets published.

One of the neat things about Homercon is that people from all over the world (people from England, France, Germany, Belgium, South Africa and Sweden have attended) congregate to play in this little quonset hut in East Central Illinois for four days. On Saturday, there is a group photo. A great time is usually had by all. You get in a lot of gaming, you meet people like Dean (great sense of humor. Tell him Tom DeFranco said "Hi".). And then there are the burrito runs to Champaign (you can take that two ways.)

Sorry Hans, I didn't notice you live in Urbana, forget about the motel, then. I'll bet you know how to get there, too.

Last edited:

Kishel

Reaction score
Thanks Tom

Ya it will be easy for me to get there, and have been to Homer several times. Thanks for the info though. I was unsure about bringing games, but now I will pack up few I want to try. I would also like to try some play testing.

I will try to remember to tell Dean that you said, "Hi".

Kishel

Reaction score
Well I had a great time at HomerCon, wish I could have been there longer, but school got in the way of my fun, again.

Tom Dean says "Hi" back.

Did not get to play very many games, but really enjoyed the playing time I did get. Got to take part of the Germans forces in Stalingrad Pocket, that was a blast, until I was surrounded and pushed back into the city. But as luck would have it someone was looking for a player for a game of Band of Hero's. That was fun, but I set up and was playing like it was ASL, and soon learned that it is not ASL, as a hero with a satchal charge ran into my house and killed three squads, but I got him too. But I later got some revenge as a leader with an mg-34 ran down three squads and a leader that were all shaken.

I hope I can make it next year, and I will definatly not be as timid next time and just start asking to join games or set up a game and advertise for players.

I now want to play more of The Gamers line, a lot. I hope that Dean can get the SCS game that is going to cover the whole European theater out soon, map looked very cool. The Case Blue map was very nice as well. I am very interested in learning that system now, very different than the Europa I grew up playing.

crufty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kishel said:
I now want to play more of The Gamers line, a lot. I hope that Dean can get the SCS game that is going to cover the whole European theater out soon, map looked very cool.
:love:

I usually don't follow SCS so this is news to me! An SCS game for the entire ETO? Me likey likey! Does anyone have any info/details?

Kishel

Reaction score
I did not get to talk with Dean much about it, but the map looks nice and big. He will not be doing much with it until he can get the OCS game Case Blue finished up. Then he will be working on it.

That is all I know. Sorry

This is one I am very excited to see finished :cheeky:

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

High Krausen is Jim Daniels, I've been a playtester for the Gamer's OCS since DAK 1, I also have worked on the SCS WiE game. we did a bit of testing a couple of years ago then it got pushed aside by other products GBII, Korea, and now Case Blue. Dean says that after we get Case Blue out the door SCS WiE is back at the top of the list. Not sure what that means as far as a time frame is concerned...but it will be done.

Kishel

Reaction score
That is great to hear. The map looked like the game would be very fun.

If there is any need for playtesters or anything I can do to help, let me know.

As I am living close by to Dean, and he invited me to bug him, I will, by sending an email to indicate my willingness to help.