Home Rule to regulate skulking

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I suppose you could get rid of the Advance Phase and have a rule where an infantry unit can forego prep/advancing fire to gain an additional +2 TEM or something like that.

I get why many think the Advance Phase is wonky but I think it's more critical to the game's fun than some folks realize. Without it, I think it becomes a pretty static game with a lot more deadlocked positions and a lot more just trading fire back and forth. The Advance Phase keeps the game moving, gives it a dynamic flow that, to me, feels pretty organic.

It's also the infantry unit's special power, something it can do that vehicles can't. Vehicles can already dominate the game; getting rid of the Advance Phase would just make them dominate more. ASL is an infantry-centric game and I'd prefer that it stay that way.

Long live the Advance Phase!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I also wear cloth. I think we all do. It's why the threat of Perry sporting the ASL Thong (TM) is so scary.
Just in case there wuz any confusion.....

I think calling Perry's Thong (notice the capitalization) mere "cloth" has got to be sacrilege of some sort?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another option is to remove the Defensive Fire Phase for the scenario attacker...since avoiding that is usually what skulking is about...
One thing that reduces the effectiveness of skulking (and thus the instances of it) -- Light woods.

So if you don't like skulking, play more Korean war/ Hakaa Paale scenarios .

Or house rule (while we are at it) "All woods are light woods"

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Careful....Robin is a man of The Cloth.....
Just in case, as a Protestant, I believe in universal priesthood - i.e. all believers are priests and there is no clergy (but of course, different functions, where some levels of vocational training are possibly required).

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
I fixed skulking in my rules that are the same scale/level as ASL.

Effectively there is no defensive final fire AFTER movement. But you can return fire on any unit that PREP FIRES immediately.

So, if a defending unit keeps it's heads down and does nothing to draw fire, it cannot be fired upon in it's own initiative.

I also have a state called HEADS DOWN that adds TEM in any location and PRONE in open ground can do the same.

It is not the effect of skulking that annoys me - but how it looks and the fact that certain terrain makes it impossible, like foxholes. These should be some of the best defensive locations but are in ASL some of the worst.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
certain terrain makes it impossible, like foxholes. These should be some of the best defensive locations but are in ASL some of the worst.
They are fantastic against OBA and overruns- as they should be. No foxhole that provides that level of protection would be easy to access/exit without getting shot.

Only thing I would change would be: All ATT gets +4 TEM

But this argument has been beaten to death already.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if it's been discussed somewhere. I have thought of a rule that could minimize the "gamey" of skulking. It consists of, whenever a unit leaves a location in his MPh, allowing to enemy units to fire to this abandoned location, leaving residual FP there. This residual FP counter shall not be removed until the end of the APh, acting in this location similar to a FFE. So, if a unit goes out of LOS in its MPh a comes back in its APh, it would be attacked by this Residual FP. The main point would be to distinguish these Residual FP "skulking" counters from the regular ones. Or merely allow all Residual FP counters to remain until the end of the APh.
Just no.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just in case there wuz any confusion.....

I think calling Perry's Thong (notice the capitalization) mere "cloth" has got to be sacrilege of some sort?
no confusion bro, but I'm thinking that with posts like this one and the other one, which one of us is putting the Fun in dysfunctional?