Hollow Legions scenario updates

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Were any of the old Italian scenarios updated for the rerelease of Hollow Legions? Is there a list somewhere of what changes were made? I looked on the MMP website but found nothing there.

Thanks

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably, scenario updates for the original West of Alamein and Hollow Legions will printed in the upcoming Journal
(WAG on my part, though).

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK thanks.

I didn't buy the new Hollow Legions. Does anyone know if there was any update on AP25 - The Last Day of the Cuneense? It looks really interesting but it has a bad record on ROAR.....I would like to play the scenario sometime.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Does anyone know if there was any update on AP25 - The Last Day of the Cuneense?
AP25 The Last Day Of The Cuneense (282): Exchange the 8-1 leader with a 7-0 leader in the Russian Turn 3 reinforcements. Add one 4-4-7 squad to the Italian OB. (The Italian BI BPV number changes from [112] to [120].)

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FWIW, I actually thought the original version was pretty balanced--it was just that there were a lot of mistakes the Italian player could make, especially in the first playing of the scenario. Once the Italian player groks the situation and the tactics needed, it becomes a lot more competitive. But the changes in the new version give the Italian player a bit more cushion.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently there are so many scenarios to choose from that scenarios are seldom played twice by the same player having the same side. I believe it is quite unlikely that many players will play a scenario a second or third time, barring playing it in a tournament, or if asked to do so will approach the suggestion with a degree of reticence. If a scenario is not grokked initially it is usually shuffled off to the dustbin of previously played scenarios and the lessons learned for particular to that scenario are rapidly relegated to foggy memory.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gotta disagree with you on that one, if a scenario is very kool and interesting, I will try it again.

Currently there are so many scenarios to choose from that scenarios are seldom played twice by the same player having the same side. I believe it is quite unlikely that many players will play a scenario a second or third time, barring playing it in a tournament, or if asked to do so will approach the suggestion with a degree of reticence. If a scenario is not grokked initially it is usually shuffled off to the dustbin of previously played scenarios and the lessons learned for particular to that scenario are rapidly relegated to foggy memory.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gotta disagree with you on that one, if a scenario is very kool and interesting, I will try it again.
I'm thinking however if a scenario appeals to one initially it's one that comes out fairly close. If one needs to replay a scenario several times to be able to grok the designer's intricacies of how to win with a particular side I don't believe it'll get a lot of replays as first impressions may lead to the conclusion that it is quite unbalanced one way or another. Face it, if you have a feeling you don't have quite a decent chance at coming out on top, even though you may eventually lose, it leaves one with a little bit of a bitter taste in one's mouth. Now I know some people play a scenario to figure out how is the best "must play it this way" parameters put in by a designer in order to win but I don't feel most players are into that type of play for our board game (computer games---meh). YMMV.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm thinking however if a scenario appeals to one initially it's one that comes out fairly close. If one needs to replay a scenario several times to be able to grok the designer's intricacies of how to win with a particular side I don't believe it'll get a lot of replays as first impressions may lead to the conclusion that it is quite unbalanced one way or another. Face it, if you have a feeling you don't have quite a decent chance at coming out on top, even though you may eventually lose, it leaves one with a little bit of a bitter taste in one's mouth. Now I know some people play a scenario to figure out how is the best "must play it this way" parameters put in by a designer in order to win but I don't feel most players are into that type of play for our board game (computer games---meh). YMMV.
I think you are quite right. Pretty much the only instances of me replaying scenarios are when I am playtesting or taking newbies thru the game.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No issue with replays. See The Defense of Duffer's Drift, updated in the 1980's to The Defense of Hill 781.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just opened my copy of Hollow Legions today. The graphics on the overlays and Boards 25/25e really pop, a nice upgrade there.

I started perusing the Ethiopian scenarios (introduced with a minimum of new rules - praise the ASL Gods!) and have a question about scenario 257 Circle the Wagons. Can the Italian force which starts on map exit the map via the South Edge to avoid surrendering CVPs?

The reason I inquire about the south edge, is that is where the Italian reinforcements enter the board.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I started perusing the Ethiopian scenarios (introduced with a minimum of new rules - praise the ASL Gods!) and have a question about scenario 257 Circle the Wagons. Can the Italian force which starts on map exit the map via the South Edge to avoid surrendering CVPs?
Any Italian unit that exit the map would be eliminated and give the Ethiopian player CVP, per A26.211.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just opened my copy of Hollow Legions today. The graphics on the overlays and Boards 25/25e really pop, a nice upgrade there.
Yup. the graphics are awesome for HL 3E. bagging my old 1st edition Italians and boy what a shit show of graphics that version was. The quality of the 1E counters are horrible. I bet if we had the internet back in 1990, AH would have gotten an earful.