Hollow Legions reprint, Will you play the desert?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've been around since the original Squad Leader days (and I still suck at this game but that's another story... :))...yet I had never played a desert scenario.

Ever.

Until a month or so ago when my long-time CG opponent and I wanted to try something new...and we ended up playing the mini-CG A Line in the Sand.

Turns out it was kind of fun and a nice change of pace...plus the rules were not that difficult to wrap my old brain around.

Granted I still suck at this game...but now at least the suckage is spread around an additional theater of war...:D
If you got a grip on Night then DTO shouldn't be that difficult for you.

I suggest that you play Fort McGregor. DTO and Night. We played it several times. Good stuff!🥰

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If you got a grip on Night then DTO shouldn't be that difficult for you.

I suggest that you play Fort McGregor. DTO and Night. We played it several times. Good stuff!🥰
Be forewarned! Just because we liked it does not mean it was balanced or any such nonsense. It was fun. That's all you should ask of any scenario. 🤗

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have played a grand total of ONE Desert Scenario (with my buddy Rod) and while I did enjoy it I didn't grasp the rules and I wouldn't say that I would rush back to it. I am very interested in getting a set of Italians however, I'd like to play games set in Russia, Italy and suchlike

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember wbitd, when somebody wrote the GENERAL or ASL Annual stating that only the Western Front and Eastern Front
was needed for ASL. The response by the majority of ASL players that all theaters of WW2 had be represented in the game system.
I agreed with that view back then, and I still believe that view is solidly valid.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I remember wbitd, when somebody wrote the GENERAL or ASL Annual stating that only the Western Front and Eastern Front
was needed for ASL. The response by the majority of ASL players that all theaters of WW2 had be represented in the game system.
I agreed with that view back then, and I still believe that view is solidly valid.
I agree 100%. The desert is a totally different environment that was fought over for three years. To leave other theatres (incl. PTO/CBI) out of the game would have seen far less game play. Like the PTO, to learn the DTO simply requires a bit of time. With repetition the rules become easier,... to the point where you'll ask what all the fuss was about.

It ain't hard, it's just different.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree 100%. The desert is a totally different environment that was fought over for three years. To leave other theatres (incl. PTO/CBI) out of the game would have seen far less game play. Like the PTO, to learn the DTO simply requires a bit of time. With repetition the rules become easier,... to the point where you'll ask what all the fuss was about.

It ain't hard, it's just different.
The same can be said of KWASL.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Plus what are we talking about - 1-3 pages of rules? And yet some react like it was some kind of getting a bachelor degree in physics...

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have played about 3 DTO scenarios. LOVE IT! Especially when the dust starts up etc, the "plain old yellow board" just ain't so plain anymore! In fact, FAR from it, the dang place changes from turn to turn! It's magical!!!

Having said that, I haven't found any ASL rules/ theatre I don't thoroughly enjoy

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
I'll be getting HL. I'm a Brit, so perhaps biased...but I want that Western Desert action. (Also Russian Steppes, Russian Far East, and DTO Exporter and East Africa scenarios all attract me.)

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
I know I shouldn't be taking sides...but I do (just based on my relative interest in particular theaters of war). Hollow Legions has finally surpassed Sword and Fire: Manila in the pre-order count. As of today, HL has 1550 pre-orders, and SF:M has 1549.

For the hive mind out there (and totally just for fun), were there any other ASL modules or HASLs that had huge numbers of preorders before shipping? VotG? RB?

(Just trying to bide my time before my copy of HL shows up! Won't be Christmas until I get a chance to see all those wonderful gray counters!)

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just waiting for MMP to pull the trigger, cutting off the pre-order process and starting the assembly/shipping process.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
My files indicate:
ASL SK3
Mar 2007
2147 Preorders

Valor of the Guards
Jan 2008
2704 Preorders

Red Factories
Jan 2019
1947 Preorders

A fair amount of others were in the 1500 range.

Last edited: