Hobbits in the Trenches!

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps old news, but I only learned today about Peter Jackson's new WWI Documentary. Some truly painstaking restoration and manipulation makes 100-year old footage look so real, so modern, and so alive. Here's a link - article contains five or six short - but astonishingly vivid - clips:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/movies/peter-jackson-war-movie.amp.html

I especially love the AFV riders having fun crossing a ditch. But you really can't beat someone who can strum chords on a beer bottle!

P.S. This really brings home LotR's war-to-end-all-wars vibe. Sam and Frodo, solid Doughboys to the end.

P.P.S. I guess I am a bit late to the party but in case I'm not the only one... here's a link to a full review of the film including a generously-sized trailer.

Last edited:

bluedogpete

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This documentary is absolutely excellent. I had the opportunity back in November to watch it on BBC here in the UK. The work on the old footage is tremendous and very effective/natural. As Peter Jackson mentioned, it removes that 'Charlie Chaplin' effect and perception that people have of World War I.

Also of particular note is that the whole film is narrated by the men who served in that war. Their comments, feelings and emotions were captured on tape and you may be surprised at the honesty and frankness of their perceptions of that war. Additionally, lip-readers where employed to obtain comments from the personnel in the actual films.

I would thoroughly recommend this documentary, especially if you would like the hear and see the realities of war during that time period. The film doesn't appear to censor or reduce the impact that war had on peoples lives - British or German (or other nationalities).

Peter Jackson should be applauded for his careful and sensitive approach to this subject matter, and for his (and his team's) attention to the fine detail. It comprises a great respect and remembrance of those who fought in that War.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
This documentary is absolutely excellent. I had the opportunity back in November to watch it on BBC here in the UK. The work on the old footage is tremendous and very effective/natural. As Peter Jackson mentioned, it removes that 'Charlie Chaplin' effect and perception that people have of World War I.

Also of particular note is that the whole film is narrated by the men who served in that war. Their comments, feelings and emotions were captured on tape and you may be surprised at the honesty and frankness of their perceptions of that war. Additionally, lip-readers where employed to obtain comments from the personnel in the actual films.

I would thoroughly recommend this documentary, especially if you would like the hear and see the realities of war during that time period. The film doesn't appear to censor or reduce the impact that war had on peoples lives - British or German (or other nationalities).

Peter Jackson should be applauded for his careful and sensitive approach to this subject matter, and for his (and his team's) attention to the fine detail. It comprises a great respect and remembrance of those who fought in that War.
From the trailer and clips alone, it is already evident how big an impact Jackson and team has had on this footage. I am glad to hear the entirety - as a Documentary - is as accomplished as its technical wizardry.

The movie will play for exactly one day (next week) in my area. I've already purchased tickets (the first time I have ever purchased advanced movie tix) and am very much looking forward to the experience.

Thanks for the review!

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nelson and I are going to take a break during Flying Turrets and see this Thursday. It was a tough ticket to get even 3 weeks in advance. Nelson’s daughter and Anthony are going too. I’m looking forward to it.