Hobbit Movie leaves NZ.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sir Peter Jackson’s new film won’t be shot in New Zealand after an actors dispute threatened to de-rail the project.

The Hobbit will no longer be filmed in New Zealand.

Sir Peter Jackson’s production company Wingnut Films says Warners is coming to New Zealand to make arrangements to move the production offshore. The company’s been in dispute with New Zealand Actors Equity, over collective bargaining.

Wingnut says even though the union has now lifted The Hobbit off its blacklist, the damage to our film industry has already been done. It says a decision by the actors’ union to cancel a Wellington meeting with film workers who wanted to express their concern about losing The Hobbit, exemplifies the pure ‘gutlessness’ of the ‘self-centred group’.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010...move-offshore/

{Hobbit movie info on the LotRO forum -
http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?265-Lord-of-the-Rings-Online}

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It's sad to see it leave NZ, but I would rather see it leave than not get made at all. I'm just wondering where they will move it to.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ireland has been noted.
But really with all the CGI they put in now how much "real" terrain or locations are needed anymore.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
All is not lost for NZ, the WB bigwigs are hitting NZ in a day or two and meeting John Key who is talking about extra tax breaks and labour law changes and will no doubt be begging and pleading for them to not take their toys and go home.

It's a p1sser for NZ PLC to be scuppered by something not led by their domestic unions.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can see it staying in Nz if the government gets involved and changes laws, but if it just stays between the union & Warner Bros it will move overseas.

I'm sure that Warner's is still being flooded with high level offers of big savings & deals from every other country that the movie could be made in.

Saving money = more profit plus the opportunity for a big production company to say "screw you" to the union might be too much for Nz to overcome. If the union ticked off the wrong people in Warners no amount of pleading is going to stop them from leaving.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
It's staying, dirty deal done, laws to be changed, some minorish tax breaks and a great big advert for NZ tourism in every DVD sold - big big win for NZ! As someone who lives near Queenstown, it'll be huge for the area, not just in the filming but in the follow on boost for tourism. NZ is Middle Earth, I think that every time I drive past any of the LoTR locations....... And I do have a vested interest, our wee vineyard will hopefully have its first wine available for sale just in time to catch that wave of tourists eager to come and see the area :)