HoB still in business?

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but about ten days ago I ordered something from HoB's website...the site seemed functional, and the paypay payment went through. Since then, however, I've received no communication from HoB (and haven't received the order); I received an e-mail from paypal confiming the payment, but that's it. I sent an e-mail to the address posted on the website, but no response.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I have a similar story which may or may not have the same conclusion. About 8 or 9 years ago, I ordered from HoB as well, payment was accepted, and went a full week without a response. I sent them a follow-up email as to whether or not they were still a viable business, and if there was to be a delay, common business practice would be to notify the buyer. A few days later, I received a VERY hostile reply; probably the most a**holish email I have EVER received from a "business". "He" said that he had been moving his daughter (?) across the country to begin college, there was some other personal drama going on, and that my package would be sent when he returned. He also said something to the effect that he was not a large corporate business with front office staff and phone workers. My items arrived about a week later.

I was not as upset as you might think because I learned some very valuable insight as a result of this, especially from Paul Weir (RIP) here on GS. ASL TPP are not brick and mortar businesses with fully staffed offices working fulltime. In HoB's case, it is basically one (?) guy retaining the rights to the publications, keeping them stocked and selling them via a website. Who knows the original print runs, but he may even have had to have some reprinted. BFP, LFT, ESG, LCP etc, are/were all basically the same, except that they have a handful of partners who get items to customers. HoB has one family man trying to sate some of our insane ASL cravings. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe over at BFP that Sam Tyson is almost single-handedly responsible for internet order fulfillment. BFP is a much more voluminous heavy-hitter than HoB, and one can imagine the ordering turmoil if Sam had a personal/family drama going on. IIRC, George personally does all of LCP's sales as well.

Sorry to be so longwinded, but probably like you, I hold in general that any internet business should be prompt with sales and replies. As one of my first forays into TPPs, HoB showed me that some of our most beloved TPPs are just a few guys (or one guy) trying to flesh out our hobby and honoring their sales and commitments the best they can between work, family, friends,et al. Considering my previous interactions with AH/MMP, I naively (?) assumed all of the TPPs were similarly structured businesses. They're just fans and players like you and me, doing their best to add to our fun, so I quickly learned to cut them some slack.

The guy just didn't have to be such a d**k about it. 🙃 Hopefully your order is resolved soon!

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually not in any particular hurry, but would be kind of annoyed if I never get the product I paid for. But as long as they are in business and get around to sending it out sooner or later that's OK.

That said, sending some kind of confirmation e-mail that they've received my order and are working on it is kind of a low bar I think.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
That said, sending some kind of confirmation e-mail that they've received my order and are working on it is kind of a low bar I think.
Agreed, a simple "Gotcha, will get to it when I can" would go a long ways. Hopefully, he is not down hard with Covid, or God forbid, something worse occurring. 🤞

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
A week?
Yet, Months, years, decades go by for other products.
Patience.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Follow up to this.

I emailed Steve via their website a few weeks ago. I haven't had a response.

Anyone know if Steve is still up and running?

StevedethHOB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all, this is Steve from HOB. I recently retired from my corporate job of 30 years. The last three were very challenging with my management situation and the last 8 or so with my responsibilities. Thus not lots of time for ASL. but I am back. Will be working on some things and hope to be in the groove. The web site should be working, the email is valid, I did change my phone number for any questions and will provide if asked. I will try and catch up on this web site also. Thank you all for the years of support!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all, this is Steve from HOB. I recently retired from my corporate job of 30 years. The last three were very challenging with my management situation and the last 8 or so with my responsibilities. Thus not lots of time for ASL. but I am back. Will be working on some things and hope to be in the groove. The web site should be working, the email is valid, I did change my phone number for any questions and will provide if asked. I will try and catch up on this web site also. Thank you all for the years of support!
Sometimes it’s easier to secure an Iraqi bunker than mail a bunch of stuff out.

StevedethHOB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. Catching up on a few things I missed with action packs, but I did read through the Tarawa gamers guide, very fun!