HOB Special Forces II

Robertleclerc

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
mSA means midship secondary armament. From what I can see, the Fairmile B ML does not have any SA. Perhaps other version of the Fairmile do have secondary armament (like this 1944 D version).

In the game SF 2, at the end of the 6 pages specific rules, there is a the following note : « The condensed rules presented here are adaptation of the Motor Gun Boat rules from Le Franc Tireur’s St Nazaire module. HOB is grateful to LFT for allowing a condensed version to be printed here. »
Perhaps this is the reason why the counter and the scanned card are different and I don’t have all the information (ie sM and sL7 question) since I don’t have StN module.

Looking on the web, I found out that there were 5 versions (A,B,C,D, H) of Faimile motor launch, so I believe this scanned card is probably generic to suit many versions used in StN module or in other module.

I think the work you have done is fantastic and is probably the best that can be done given the info we have.
It can definitively be used for the SF2 scenarios.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More excellent information to use. I went to the LFT site and have looked at their 2 countersheet scans, and have downloaded their StN extension. No German Fairmile, however, it is clearly 'sL7' on the back of one boat, as well as in the INFO. I don't need to know more, those that play can figure out what it is.
EDIT: I looked more and see the Fairmile is a British boat, and there are many in the StN module. No changes needed to the attached extension. Besides the 'sL7' some of the British boats have 'sF6'.

Attached is a zip file with the extension. It is built to VASSAL 3.6.7 and VASL 6.6.5. I can't guarantee it will work with older versions (I sound like Doug). Hopefully the community can now enjoy. Let me know if there are issues, and Merry Christmas! :)

I should note, the extension has all of SF.mdx in it as well. I just added the SF2 counters to the old one (and updated to the latest VASL). You should just use this one and remove the previous version.

Attachments

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking at the extension again.
I must have reset the halfsquads since now they start as squads in the counter tray. The counter is identical, it is just what state it is in to begin with.
Also, the boat crews. I created them with the Crew prototype. This means they do not have the ability to get the 'Berserk' label on them. Is this correct? Can they become Berserk? If so I will need to change them to INF type and get rid of the ELR ability.
As for ELR ability, you may notice the two squads have ELR capability. When you ELR them the counter ends up becoming two broken halfsquads. Teh DM counter is only on the bottom halfsquad, but I have not figured out how to easily create a second DM counter for the top halfsquad.

OK, I changed the boat crew counters to have them enabled for 'Berserk' status and I corrected the ELR behavior of the German squads so that the second broken halfsquad gets a DM marker as well. Let me know if there are any other issues. I will give some time and then send I will send a note to Doug and see if he can add to the vasl.info site.

Attachments

Last edited:

Robertleclerc

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Used the extension today and it worked perfectly.
Thank you very much, really appreciate it.

Robertleclerc

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
playing one of the scenarios, I picked up a mistake on the counter sheet : according to the rules there should be 2 types of HS 3-2-8 , one with both Assault Fire & Spraying Fire (SF 5.23) and the other one without (SF5.21). Even the rule description and the image of rule SF 5.23 is erroneous since the image doesn’t match the text description.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
playing one of the scenarios, I picked up a mistake on the counter sheet : according to the rules there should be 2 types of HS 3-2-8 , one with both Assault Fire & Spraying Fire (SF 5.23) and the other one without (SF5.21). Even the rule description and the image of rule SF 5.23 is erroneous since the image doesn’t match the text description.

View attachment 24227
View attachment 24228
So does that mean the extension should also have a 3-2-8 HS with all numbers underlined? Computers make that easy compared to cardboard where you can only print so many counters.
It also appears there is something special about the leaders. I can whip one up with the insignia on it and add to the mix in the extension.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
How many different counters are you talking about? Are they all just German squads? Do you have an image depicting them? I find myself with some extra time and need a break from my ongoing efforts on other projects.
no they are specific values for marines, and Motor torpedo boats . Also info counters. Rules for MTB,s are borrowed from LFT’s St Nazaire

Robertleclerc

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yes, there should be two types of 2-3-8 HS : one with only the morale underlined and one with all numbers underlined.
Yes it can be useful to have the insignia on the leaders counter to differentiate them since they have a special ability.
Sorry to have discovered this now. Thanks

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New counters added to the SF counter tray in version SF2.3. Leader has levels 8-0 thru 9-2. Same drill, extract the vmdx from the attached zip file. I built it with VASSAL 3.6.10 / VASL 6.6.5 although I am really working with 6.6.6 beta4 at this time. Should work just fine with 6.6.6 when it comes out.
EDIT: I updated the zip file with modified images on the pieces. I saw that I did the squads fast and did not create the squad/halfsquad images to match the counters. They are now fixed. If you downloaded teh zip file previous to now (2:25am CST) you should redownload to get those images. Below shows the images to match the counters.
2424524247 24248

Attachments

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
New counters added to the SF counter tray in version SF2.3. Leader has levels 8-0 thru 9-2. Same drill, extract the vmdx from the attached zip file. I built it with VASSAL 3.6.10 / VASL 6.6.5 although I am really working with 6.6.6 beta4 at this time. Should work just fine with 6.6.6 when it comes out.
View attachment 24234View attachment 24235
Thanks VERY VERY much for your work sir