HOB Kreta OM2 Glide Path to Hell

Shamus2d6

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Finally getting around to playing Kreta!

I have had a go with OM1 as a practice - solo play.

I am now on OM2 and interested if anyone has views on the following.

1. The Allied setup does not seem to enable getting 12fp's at normal range onto the Bridge hexes, is this deliberately trying to get the allies to advance to ward the bridge.

2. OM2 Historical outcome tells us about a lone New Zealand squad below the Tavrontis Bridge, this does not seem to appear in the scenario, has anyone played it this way?

3. I visited Tavrontis bridge and noticed a bunker west of the Bridge it must have been approx near to T0 hex did the bunker ever figure in the campaign?

Cheers in advance, Shamus

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
#1 Yes, the Allies will need to attack towards the bridge. Not necessarily attack and assault the bridge proper, but get close enough to apply the FP that would have historically 'dampened the German enthusiasm' for hanging out there. ;)
#2 I would seriously doubt anyone has included in their OOB a unit not listed there, but simply described in the historical outcome. Use what is in the OOBs, it is a fun scenario.
#3 Andy Hershey, the designer who checks in here once in a while, would be the one to best answer that from a design perspective. I know the bunker you describe is not represented on the map or in the scenarios, for what reason I do not know. IIRC, he personally researched the area in person as well, so if it was there then I'm sure he knew of it.

Very fun HASL module, enjoy!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shamus,

Hi. Andy here.

Chris' answers are as good as I could have given.

As to the bunker....the accounts of the battle from either side do not mention the bunker figuring in the battle, nor does the German aerial photo of the time, from which I drew the map, show signs of same, nor do maps mention it. You must recall that the airfield itself then became German, and they may have built that bunker afterwards as part of their defense. Another possibility is that once it reverted to being Greek again after the war, the Greeks may have built it for their defense in the late 40s and 50s. The airfield is still government property (or was when I was there) but is not operational, though could serves as an emergency landing strip. The Greek Air Force operates out of the civilian airport back to the east of Chania up on the Akrotiri. If you flew into Chania you might have seen F-16s in their pens or even out and about or flying. I visited Crete twice, and the first time they were still flying Corsair IIs and F-4s, then moved to F-16s.