Hitting the (LC) Beach at ASLOK.

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Each is about 74" wide and about 26" deep; off hand not too sure on the depth. I think I went 30" deep.
Is it possible to get a paper map beforehand? I find trying to use VASL for very large setup areas less than optimal- good for recording final unit placement though

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Right but I won't see him till Oktober
If you are feeling artsy-crafty, you can extract the .gif from the VASL boards, use a program like posterazor to scale (I think it scales; that may not be necessary for a vasl map) and chop the big image into 8.5 x 11 images (or whatever size you prefer), print, then tape together. Posterazor puts in an overlap, so it's relatively easy to get the alignment right (until you get to really, really big maps). The one gotcha you have to watch for is if your .pdf viewer (posterazor writes the images to .pdf) scales the pages too. When you go to print you have to shut off every option that says something like, "scale to page," etc.

JR

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best i can do is to tell you that there are maps at the back of the rules which will be sent as soon as I get everyone's email. I have Jeff's and Dr death's email, just waiting on two more.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Emails sent. I have myself and John D playing as the Canadian; Dr. Death and Jeff as the German with Sparky as the alternate. Sparky, pm me your email once again so I can get that material out to you. I will be at ASLOK Friday afternoon in the room before the main hall. I'll be laying out the maps and have all of the counters ready as well. John D, any luck getting plexiglass cut large enough for these monster maps?
Play begins Saturday afternoon; continues Sunday; break for Dave's party (shut game down for the night--Dave's party is too much fun to skip!), then conclude Monday. Then, I'll thank you all for your play and have those T-shirts for you. Dr Death, Sparky and John D send me your T-Shirt sizes once again. Yes, I do write this stuff down then yes, in moments of "Senior panic" look everywhere for where I put this info!!! Sure hope ASL wards off dementia!
But, I have always been weird and cannot blame that on aging.
Always wanted to play a D-Day ASL monster and here it is. Back in the 90's me and Larry Winslow spent most of that ASLOK testing the Tarawa campaign game. This is still one of my best ASLOK memories.

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Emails sent. I have myself and John D playing as the Canadian; Dr. Death and Jeff as the German with Sparky as the alternate. Sparky, pm me your email once again so I can get that material out to you. I will be at ASLOK Friday afternoon in the room before the main hall. I'll be laying out the maps and have all of the counters ready as well. John D, any luck getting plexiglass cut large enough for these monster maps?
Play begins Saturday afternoon; continues Sunday; break for Dave's party (shut game down for the night--Dave's party is too much fun to skip!), then conclude Monday. Then, I'll thank you all for your play and have those T-shirts for you. Dr Death, Sparky and John D send me your T-Shirt sizes once again. Yes, I do write this stuff down then yes, in moments of "Senior panic" look everywhere for where I put this info!!! Sure hope ASL wards off dementia!
But, I have always been weird and cannot blame that on aging.
Always wanted to play a D-Day ASL monster and here it is. Back in the 90's me and Larry Winslow spent most of that ASLOK testing the Tarawa campaign game. This is still one of my best ASLOK memories.
I was at that ASLOK and kept peeking in but damned if I could make out if you guys were making any progress- just a butt load of dice rolling

Hope to be able to get my ass into a large by Oktober but let's stick with the XL

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PM/email sent and a large for me.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK guys. By now all of you should have your stuff. Let's wait and see if this map can be made into a VASL map.
Have a great summer and see you in (late) September.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, please check in with me when you can. I will be piecing out the counters for both sides--all players so we can get set up and pushing counters quickly.
Brian, George tells me that you have a working VASL map--is this correct?
ASLOK is coming...

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Wrapping up my summer vacation tomorrow. I will start working my preps on Monday.

R/Jeff

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, please check in with me when you can. I will be piecing out the counters for both sides--all players so we can get set up and pushing counters quickly.
Brian, George tells me that you have a working VASL map--is this correct?
ASLOK is coming...
Negative- I am getting error messages using those maps- have sent screenshots to George but so far nada- my VASL is updated and working fine just can't load either of those maps-

Can I assume everyone else has been able to get them to work?

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
and don't worry about that for me Brian. I am not a VASL kind of guy. Besides thanks to a recent Omaha West/East combined scenario play. I'm fully vested in all the rules needed to do these kinds of game. I think I sort of know the strategies involved...

attacker) get the hell off the beach

defender) kill them all before they get off the beach.

haha. Anyhow If I make it there I'll be fully up to speed on it without VASL prep.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Emailed those on "the list" new VASL files. Let me know if you did or did not receive these. ASLOK is coming...

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, I'll have to see if Brian agrees to share his email with you guys to see if he can help you open those VASL files sent.
Note that some of you are telling me that these files work fine. If you are still unable to extract these files let me know.

Last edited:

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, I'll have to see if Brian agrees to share his email with you guys to see if he can help you open those VASL files sent.
We're going to have to start putting initials on the Brians to know who we are talking about-

Were the files only sent to me? As long as it's good with Brian and George I'll forward the ones I have that work

Last edited: