Hitting the (LC) Beach at ASLOK.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking for three other players to test Lone Canuck's Juno 1944 mega monster at ASLOK. Three more players needed. If you ever wanted to have an D-Day experience ASLOK will be one of the few venues available. ASLOK has tables large enough to hold these two monster maps and if we start Saturday afternoon, take a break at Dave's picnic (a can't miss event) while discussing this bucket list ASL playing. With luck we may even finish by Tuesday. Just in time for the tourneys. Please respond if interested. I have all of the counters needed plus the maps. Once this is set I will have everything pieced out in advance and ready to set up.

Attachments

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
damn.. I was seriously considering trying to cajole the spousal unit into a trip to ASLOK this year. I was sort of torn, figured it would be a hoot. However I have as much interest in playing those generic scenarios and tournament play as I do getting a STD. However this is the kind of stuff that interests me. This oppportunity might seal the deal to put the full court press on her ( ie. relive the teenage years though with the help of some purple pills). That is if I am not completely burned out after finishing the gynormous combined Omaha landing scenario.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At a recent ASL tourney I had to wait six hours to play my next opponent. That was time wasted. What I have realized is that by playing monsters at an open play tourney you actually spend more time playing. Once the set ups are done, it's push counters and roll dice (and look up rules).
Sparky, if this makes you commit to ASLOK then good! Each participant will receive the rules and the scenario cards. Take the time beforehand to read the rules and use the reduced map sheets to figure out the plan of defending or attacking.
It will be my task of having everything "at the ready" to get this monster started.
I have been to all of the D-Day beaches and often wondered if I would ever get the time to play an ASL re-enactment.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff, you are in. Adding me that equals two. Two more needed--defend as Germans or attack with Canadians? I need the faster players as Canadian and we have played enough that I know you play fast--but you are also very good at laying traps for an unwary attacker.
Hmm, if you are in then can Spilkey be a potential addition?
Andrew Hershey gave me what I thought was the highest praise ever: "...like playing ASL on crack!"
I was NOT offended!

Last edited:

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Excellent! Thank you! Please add me as a German player, though I will happily play either side as necessary. If the good Dr. Hershey said that I can hardly wait.

Regards,

Jeff Waldon

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Excellent! Thank you! Please add me as a German player, though I will happily play either side as necessary. If the good Dr. Hershey said that I can hardly wait. Regards, Jeff Waldon"
Jeff, Andy said that about me during a playtest of BFP's upcoming Pelelieu.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At a recent ASL tourney I had to wait six hours to play my next opponent. That was time wasted. What I have realized is that by playing monsters at an open play tourney you actually spend more time playing. Once the set ups are done, it's push counters and roll dice (and look up rules).
Sparky, if this makes you commit to ASLOK then good! Each participant will receive the rules and the scenario cards. Take the time beforehand to read the rules and use the reduced map sheets to figure out the plan of defending or attacking.
It will be my task of having everything "at the ready" to get this monster started.
I have been to all of the D-Day beaches and often wondered if I would ever get the time to play an ASL re-enactment.
Between the spousal unit and my slave driver of an owner at work I likely wouldn't be able to commit to going until last minute. If I do and you are short I'd love to join in, if filled up, I'll be an interested spectator and provide the booze I suppose. I've done the mini Omaha several times, and one of the first things I snagged upon returning to the game was the 2nd Omaha installment. I'm in the middle of it now. It is a spectacle man, all those maps, all those counters. It is an experience, one every ASL player should try something at least once. I'd be curious to what Juno plays and feels like in comparison to Omaha.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sparky, then you can be our "reserve". Never know until "game time if everyone shows.
Still need two more...

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are several photos being used as "bait". Yes, very ambitious but I am hoping that there are other ASLers out there who have always wanted some immersion for at least two days.

Attachments

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very nice Tooz and very baited. As well as highly interested, enough that I had to restrain myself from posting likely unwanted back seat critiques and feedback just from the pictures alone haha

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like I may have found a third player. Need one more...

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
they we are out there Tooz. You'll find that remaining player with no problem I'm sure, but hopefully I'll be in the bullpen if I can come and filled or not I'll be heading your gaming table way. Ready if needed, highly interrested if not needed. After this Omaha experience, lets say I think know every vowel and consonant of Gung Ho Chapter G'ish. What an interesting (half) rules chapter btw. I had a friend express to me he thought it was badly written, perhaps it isnt as linear as other rules, but I had to slam the trump card down. Just look how little errata has been issued on that section of rules. Perhaps it could have been organized better and be an easier read but the rules are pretty much air tight and were from the first go about.

Btw. Sending you a PM with my thoughts based on what you had there with the pictures. I really like one aspect, pass that on perhaps to the designer via your feedback, but there is one element I disagree with strongly. Pass that on perhaps if what I write makes sense and has some validity IYO.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK Brian, you are number four. Sparky is my "sub". Brian, do you mind playing as the Germans and defend?
I'll need all of you to pm me your email addresses so I can send you the HASL scenarios and rules. We will test Scenario #3 which combines the first two into one big monster.
You are under a Lone Canuck confidentiality agreement, please.
Also, what is your respective T-shirt sizes/ You get a tee from George at LC.
Yes Brian, you definitely want to make Dave's picnic.

Last edited:

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK Brian, you are number four. Sparky is my "sub". Brian, do you mind playing as the Germans and defend?
I'll need all of you to pm me your email addresses so I can send you the HASL scenarios and rules. We will test Scenario #3 which combines the first two into one big monster.
You are under a Lone Canuck confidentiality agreement, please.
Also, what is your respective T-shirt sizes/ You get a tee from George at LC.
Yes Brian, you definitely want to make Dave's picnic.
Sure I'll take the Nazi bastards- and I'm an XL if I'm an inch

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Brian, I am getting the maps VASL-ized so that you can pre-plan and set up prior to ASLOK." George
GREAT!
OK, guys, you should be getting the stuff needed to get ready by this Sunday. Never too early to plan. Less than four months!
Two large maps allow for each attacker/defender to prepare their attack/defense with some crossover occurring during this mammoth contest. The better we prepare, the quicker we can get to pushing counters and cursing the dice!
I'll have all the counters needed to play--benefits of being a counterslut!

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, what are the dimensions needed for having plexiglass large enough cover the maps? My sheets are too small.