Hitler miniseries?

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

I don't know about you people who live outside of America, but recently in America, we had Hitler miniseries shown on CBS, I think.

This is for these people who had watched it.

Here's my comment.

It sucks. Yes, it sucks big time.

I only watched the first part of miniseries. I lost interest after that. Really, on whole, the Hollywood's historical dramas aren't too great.

I thought Hitler was not properly protrayed. I felt that the miniseries attempted to show that the enivronment was the main influence in deciding Hitler's characteristics and flaws. The child was protrayed as a bad boy born evil rather than a child actually deciding to protest or rebel against his parents.

Hitler was shown as a shy and sort of naive in scheming the political events. In fact, if I remember correctly, Hitler was charismatic and clever in his line of reasoning and political intrigues. He was not naive, he exploited the misery of Germans greatly.

In short, I did feel it stupid to even try and understand Hitler's mind or any evil person's as well. I do honestly believe it is quite simple -- they made choices that were evil and did a great deal of harm to us. The environment or a bad childhood may have some influences, but they were not and shouldn't be considered as decisive factors in deciding a person's traits or personality.

Hitler decided to be evil, and I just wish that Hollywood or people in general would stop trying to blame his evilness on the other things.

Anyway, I skipped the second part so I could just watch the Fox Network's "24" season finale, which was way better than Hitler miniseries. I was surprised that the President was finally assassinated after going through all of that trouble -- being ousted by his Cabinet and having a nuclear bomb set off in the deserts of Nevada (I think) after it was discovered by Jack Bauer. Oh man, I can't wait for a third season of "24". It's a great TV series worthy of my respect. All "24" episodes were tense and full of suspense....oh man, it was real fun!

Dan

SparceMatrix

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought Hitler was not properly protrayed. I felt that the miniseries attempted to show that the enivronment was the main influence in deciding Hitler's characteristics and flaws. The child was protrayed as a bad boy born evil rather than a child actually deciding to protest or rebel against his parents.

Hitler was shown as a shy and sort of naive in scheming the political events. In fact, if I remember correctly, Hitler was charismatic and clever in his line of reasoning and political intrigues. He was not naive, he exploited the misery of Germans greatly.

In short, I did feel it stupid to even try and understand Hitler's mind or any evil person's as well. I do honestly believe it is quite simple -- they made choices that were evil and did a great deal of harm to us. The environment or a bad childhood may have some influences, but they were not and shouldn't be considered as decisive factors in deciding a person's traits or personality.

Hitler decided to be evil, and I just wish that Hollywood or people in general would stop trying to blame his evilness on the other things.
I've heard that debate before and I'm quite certain that the miniseries was very careful to include only those events in Hitler's life that were reliably reported. Hitler himself spoke about his childhood many times. The rest is just acting. As for his political character, being naive and shy are not mutally exclusive with being charismatic and clever. I think your objections characterize the feelings of many who think that Hitler must fall in with certain behaviours in order to explain him. This is a legitimate debate, but meanwhile there is real personal history and I think the miniseries handled it pretty well.

Reaction score
A German relative of mine who lived in Nazi Germany, said they thought it was quite realistic.

The environment or a bad childhood may have some influences, but they were not and shouldn't be considered as decisive factors in deciding a person's traits or personality.

Socialization does affect us greatly. It isn't the only thing that shapes us as people, but it is a very important factor. People tend to raise their own children similarly in which they were raised themselves. People generally remain within the same social 'class' as their parents. And if socialization was an irrelevant factor, why is media advertising such a powerful force? People naturally learn from and react to their surroundings. The humiliation and poverty suffered by Germany after WW1 was one of the defining factors in Hitler's rise to power. Such an unstable society is ripe for exploitation by extremists. Thus, these surroundings, in part, are relevant to Hitler's and the Nazi's ideology.

In short, I did feel it stupid to even try and understand Hitler's mind or any evil person's as well.

We want to learn from histories mistakes, in order to prevent those same mistakes from happening again. If we can understand the factors involved in such horrible events, perhaps we can prevent them from ever happening again.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Cheetah772
Hello,

I don't know about you people who live outside of America, but recently in America, we had Hitler miniseries shown on CBS, I think.

Dan
I kept waiting for the Tom Jones music so he could take all his clothes off...

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Dan,

In Europe, Hitler is a subject more than touchy. A series about this guy would drive immedialtly to very intense protest.
We must wait that all people who lived this period disapear( 20 years again).

Dan, too many people here have suffered with this person, Goy or not Goy, you know what I mean.

USA is more free and less touchy about this "man".

Probably too that the Facist are less representative in USA than here, the antisemitism is not dead in France the beast is still alive and it gets blood with Israel/Palestinian conflict.

Shalom, Salam, Fried, Peace, Paix, Pacce

Der WanderHopeForABetterWorld :)

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A little off-topic but still TV related. I watched one of the funniest shows on HBO lastnight, Da Ali G Show. It seems this satire/interview show comes from England. Is this true?

How this guy gets famous political figures to sit across from him is beyond me. I fell out of my chair many times watching this show. I now wonder if Brent Scowcroft <sp> ever did rent Barely Legal 3...he thinks its a movie on our legal system.

Here is a list of some of those he talked with:

Dick Thornberg
Boutros Boutros-Ghali (cussing in French)
Newt Gingrich (he wasn't to thrilled)
Buzz Aldrin (question: What was it like to walk on the Sun?)
C. Everert Koop (ROFLMAO...one of the best)
Marlin Fitzwater (another great interview)
Former head of the CIA (question: Who shot JR on the grassy knoll?)

Picture the above being interviews by a bad-boy (white) English rapper with an IQ of 50.

Check out http://www.hbo.com/alig/video/# for some clips.

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by SkyVon
A little off-topic but still TV related. I watched one of the funniest shows on HBO lastnight, Da Ali G Show. It seems this satire/interview show comes from England. Is this true?

How this guy gets famous political figures to sit across from him is beyond me. I fell out of my chair many times watching this show. I now wonder if Brent Scowcroft <sp> ever did rent Barely Legal 3...he thinks its a movie on our legal system.
Heh, it's funny alright.

He originally started making fun of all the "musicians" who were popping up in England emulating the hiphop culture in the US, then HBO gave him his own show.

He plays dumb on the show but he's a Cambridge graduate (and Jewish for good measure, just to throw a stereotype on there ;)).

I'm not quite sure how he gets those politicians and so on to come on the show either, but I think they're well aware that it's comedy and he's probably quite popular in the UK.

I liked his conversation with the animal rights activists :).

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Originally posted by Cheetah772

Anyway, I skipped the second part so I could just watch the Fox Network's "24" season finale, which was way better than Hitler miniseries. I was surprised that the President was finally assassinated after going through all of that trouble -- being ousted by his Cabinet and having a nuclear bomb set off in the deserts of Nevada (I think) after it was discovered by Jack Bauer. Oh man, I can't wait for a third season of "24". It's a great TV series worthy of my respect. All "24" episodes were tense and full of suspense....oh man, it was real fun!

Dan
DAMMIT, i'm watching that finale right now in New Zealand, and now its ruined!

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh