Historical notes

rgrove

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was flipping through the unit historical notes and was suprised to find actual rules in bedded in there. I suppose one should research the units included in each scenario before playing? I thought they were just background color info, but I stand corrected. Just when you thought you had a grip on how complicated this game was.....

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This seems like something for twitter. :D

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Of what unit historical notes are you speaking? The chapter H notes? A25?

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Forgive me in advance if I am stating what's already obvious to you (the OP left some question as to what you are referring to).

I assume you are speaking of Chapter H, which contains the notes for each nationality's vehicles and ordnance. These include numbered "historical notes" and lettered "special rules" for that unit.

Which notes to use are listed at the end of each row of the vehicle or ordnance table. Each unit's special rules are stated under the lettered notes, though there is occasionally useful game information even within the numbered notes.

If Chapter H is indeed what you meant, then absolutely! These notes are not only useful, but are absolutely essential to many games. The notes provide unit special rules that often change how you employ a unit or even how you utilize your entire OoB. New or restricted tactical options can completely change tactical options and your entire strategy.

A few examples include:
- SRs for PRC
- MMC and/or SW included w/vehicle
- CA restrictions for certain armaments
- Mechanical issues restricting movement, Start/Stop, Bog, or ESB
Etc...

P.S. When applicable, studying both sides unit notes is (for most players, I expect) a major part of the preparation for scenarios w.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If I were guess as to what the OP is referring to, it would that for some Vehicles/Ordnance there are actual special rules mentioned in the initial non-dagger paragraph (which usually only has historical information) of the Vehicle/Ordnance Note.

E.g., German Vehicle Note 65:
65. SPW 251/10:
This was the armored infantry platoon leader’s vehicle. It also carries an ATR, or as of 9/43 a PSK—either of which may be Removed (D6.631) by the crew or a passenger, or Scrounged (D10.5). See also U.S. Multi-Applicable Vehicle Note Z.

See also German Vehicle Notes C, J, N.

Usually, text similiar to the red text above appears in a dagger-paragraph.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
If I were guess as to what the OP is referring to, it would that for some Vehicles/Ordnance there are actual special rules mentioned in the initial non-dagger paragraph (which usually only has historical information) of the Vehicle/Ordnance Note.

E.g., German Vehicle Note 65:
65. SPW 251/10:
This was the armored infantry platoon leader’s vehicle. It also carries an ATR, or as of 9/43 a PSK—either of which may be Removed (D6.631) by the crew or a passenger, or Scrounged (D10.5). See also U.S. Multi-Applicable Vehicle Note Z.

See also German Vehicle Notes C, J, N.

Usually, text similiar to the red text above appears in a dagger-paragraph.
You're probably right about what rgrove was referring to, only I couldn't resist a short "Ode to Chapter H.":)

BTW, I did mention what you say (however briefly), but your example is much more helpful!

rgrove

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, that's exactly what I referring to. This tank may stall out when starting, this infantry unit has an inherent SW etc.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Reading the appropriate chapter H notes is necessary when you want to play a scenario.
That said, a lot of information is on the counters.
And an asterisk can indicate that there is a special note too look down in chapter H (which is the case for Pz V and JgPz V, next to their MP).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
D.1 said:
VEHICLE LISTINGS: Due to the complexity of AFV data and the minor variations in each model type, vehicle data has been compiled into master listings to supplement the data contained on the counters. Players should consult the Vehicle Listings in Chapter H before each scenario to fully familiarize themselves with the special capabilities of any vehicle that appears in that particular scenario.
If you have not been consulting chapter H before your scenarios you have been violating D.1, the first rule of vehicles. All scenarios you have played with/against vehicles are forfeit.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes, that's exactly what I referring to. This tank may stall out when starting, this infantry unit has an inherent SW etc.
Yes, you need to check the initial "historical" paragraphs as well - thought any special rules tend to be at the end of them.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you have not been consulting chapter H before your scenarios you have been violating D.1, the first rule of vehicles. All scenarios you have played with/against vehicles are forfeit.

JR
The rule says "should" Should is a moralistic judgement word. It would have no bearing on the validity of any game played yet or since. :oops:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The rule says "should" Should is a moralistic judgement word. It would have no bearing on the validity of any game played yet or since. :oops:
You should consult chapter H in the same way that you should obey the speed limit. It's the law.

JR

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
News at 10: game publisher recommends reading rules of game before attempting to play it.

"I was shocked ... flabbergasted, really!" said a Ms M. Mouse, from Orlando, FL. "You mean I don't get $50 for landing on 'Free Parking'? These so-called 'rules' seem highly over-rated to me."

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If the rules specific to each vehicle and gun were imbedded in the general rules of chapters A-D, the rulebook would be a terrible mess.
Chapter H saves us from chaos (or from a gastroenterological, labyrinthine experience). Well, a little less.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I print a map for the counter trays telling where each vehicle is located. On the reverse side I printed the multi-applicable vehicle notes. When I pull out the counters I check what notes are listed and look them up right away. If the note number is in red that means I have to make a detour to Chapter H and read it in detail. Makes setting up a scenario at a tournament as quick as possible. I would've attached a file as an example, but XLS files are not allowed...
Steve

rgrove

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
News at 10: game publisher recommends reading rules of game before attempting to play it.

"I was shocked ... flabbergasted, really!" said a Ms M. Mouse, from Orlando, FL. "You mean I don't get $50 for landing on 'Free Parking'? These so-called 'rules' seem highly over-rated to me."
Not helpful and pretty snarky. The term "Historical Notes" is a bit misleading, seeming to indicate interesting background info only. "Special Unit Rules" or something like that might have indicated the need to read them before playing. Perhaps that's just me though.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The clue might have been that those rules are contained in their own specific chapter in the rule book. It's not like they were a footnote or something. Now, if you haven't played a lot of AFV scenarios, there may have been no real need to look at them thoroughly.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
"Special Unit Rules" or something like that might have indicated the need to read them before playing. Perhaps that's just me though.
D.1 specifically uses the phrases "Vehicle Listings" and "Vehicle Notes". C2.9 uses "Vehicle or Gun Listing Note". The official title of Chapter H is "Design Your Own" and each sub-section is "Nationality Vehicle Notes" and "Nationality Ordnance Notes". I'm not sure where your fixation on the phrase "Historical Notes" is coming from. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase is used somewhere in the rules, but it doesn't seem to be turning up anywhere "obvious" (in an admittedly brief search). In any case, C2.9 and D.1 are both explicitly telling you to read those Notes. The very first Vehicle Note that appears in Chapter H includes a "special rule" (the Pz.IB gets to make two TK DR when it gets a hit vs. an armoured target), so if that's the first one you read, you should be immediately aware of the existence of these rules. I confess, I don't understand how you could possibly confuse the Notes as just being historical fluff if you spent more than a couple of seconds looking at those pages. Perhaps that's just me though. (That being said, it's been over 30 years since the first time I laid eyes on Chapter H, and the only thing I can clearly remember is being in awe at how much additional information was presented when compared to the original CoI / CoD / GI Listings. Of course, familiarity with those was a primer for anticipating that some vehicles behaved differently to other vehicles.)