Hip

karl

Lost in my own mind.
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Hi

When does one have to reveal a hip unit? I have a squad, crew and a 57mm AT Guns hip in some woods. During the movement turn the opposition has moved a squad and a leader past these units in the adjacent hexes.

Do I have to reveal their location has he is next door or risk it and hope he moves on, stay hip and lie in wait for his tanks.

Cheers

Karl

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Since HIP is a form of concealment, you need to reveal a hip unit for any action which would ordinarily result in loss of concealment.

ie. if your opponent attempts to move into your hex, A12.15 takes effect... lose HIP/concealment and bounce him back to where he moved from, at which point you can shoot on the MF he spent in attempting to move into your hex. You'll also lose HIP if your opponent succesfully searches your hex (A12.152).

In the case you described above, there's no need for you to reveal your HIPsters when his units are only adjacent to your hex. Unless they enter your hex or search, you can stay HIP and wait for his tanks! (provided your opponent isn't reading this forum too!) ;)

Hope this helps.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
remember, too, to only reveal enough to force him back if he does try to enter your HIPster's hex. Revealing a crew may make him bold and try to Advance into CC with 'just' the crew. Or reveal a squad, keeping the Gun HIP for later use. Also, if the ATTACKER is concealed, you may make him reveal a non-dummy unit first before you reveal anything. Maybe there's no one there. Maybe they'll continue on their merry way in another direction. . .

Alan

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
alanp said:
Also, if the ATTACKER is concealed, you may make him reveal a non-dummy unit first before you reveal anything. Maybe there's no one there.
Can you refresh my mind on how this works, given that the HIP units aren't on the board yet? Does it go...

1. Opponent moves concealed unit(s) into hex
2. I declare I have a HIPster there
3. I then ask him to reveal a non-dummy unit
4. If he does reveal a non-dummy unit, I reveal one HIP unit to force the bounce
5. If he can't reveal a non-dummy unit, then what? Does his stack of dummies automatically get removed off-board? Or do I first need to place a (formerly) HIP unit onboard in order to force the dummy removal?

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As you know, Reepicheep, I've only got ASLRBv.1. With that caveat, your lines 1-4 seem correct[provided it's not night w/Japanese or some exceptional case]. A12.15 states that "if the ATTACKER is concealed, the DEFENDER can(before he reveals any unit)force him to reveal a non-Dummy. . ." HIP is a form of concealment; HIPsters are basically '?'-units whose location is written down on a side record[or with VASL, look like ghosts]who can't move w/out being put on board. A12.31 says, "Once revealed, a hidden unit may never regain hidden status. . . " I'd say they're still hidden as they're not 'revealed' yet. You've got to trust your opponent if you lose a Dummy stack this way that their IS a HIPster there; I'd make a mental note to myself, you may fire at 'empty' hexes--remember Pegasus Bridge ;) --but I don't see where you're forced to put any pieces on the board. Hope this helps.

Alan

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
alanp said:
remember, too, to only reveal enough to force him back if he does try to enter your HIPster's hex. Revealing a crew may make him bold and try to Advance into CC with 'just' the crew. Or reveal a squad, keeping the Gun HIP for later use. Also, if the ATTACKER is concealed, you may make him reveal a non-dummy unit first before you reveal anything. Maybe there's no one there. Maybe they'll continue on their merry way in another direction. . .

Alan
Actually, you do not have an option as to who gets revealed to bounce them back. If you have a ? stack and someone tries to move in, you roll RS for each counter in the stack. If a SW gets radomly selected, the unit possessing it gets revealed. A12.15 near the bottom of the rather long rule. Look for "Random Selection".

The same rule applies to revelation of HIP units.

Now of course, you could reveal the unit of your choice at any time before he tries to enter your hex, but it would have to be strictly BEFORE he tries to enter your hex. You have no choice at to which exact unit bounces him once he tries to enter your location.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you, Jazz, for correcting my oversight. You've been right now twice this week! ;)

That's why guys like you are on these forums.

Alan

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
alanp said:
That's why guys like you are on these forums.

Alan
Ask the folks on the Colorado Front Range, and they'll tell you I'm the sort of people you've been warned about....and with good reason. :devious: