HIP units and how to remember where they are...

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Regarding the above. My regular oppo and I are playing a Manila scenario this coming weekend. I'm the defending Japanese. There are so many HIP units/fortifications etc I'm struggling to work out how I can keep a record ( as well as written) and remember where they all are in order to use them effectively ? .
Any advice greatly received..

TIA ...

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A cell phone pic of your initial set up might help when FTF . On VASL, I guess a screenshot? I assume the honor system would prevent using those pics as a way to Check LOS on the pretense of trying to verify where you HIP guys are. Or have a duplicate board set up out of sight of your opponent. Or take a high dose of memory enhancing pharmaceuticals just before the game.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I still have to meet an ASL player who cheats.
Cheating when no money is in play would be psychiatric problem.
Sadly, it happens. I have encountered such. I'm happy to say that I have experienced only one cheater and it was a looonng time ago.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Laptop with VASL could prove useful even during face to face. 🤔
I can see that being a problem but yes indeed, VASL solves your problem. A very useful tool, even in some ftf situations. Nice call, I love VASL, played 3 different opponents in 4 separate VASL sessions last week, I never played this often ftf before the pandemic... Still prefer ftf when I can but VASL is always there for me.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Cheating when no money is in play would be psychiatric problem.
Does not mean it does not happen. There wuz one fella in Colorado that kept winning EVERY event he played in for a number of years.....until someone discovered scraps of paper with multiple possible locations for a single HIP AT gun in the scenario in question. He hasn't been around lately after folks started making him play by the rulz....

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Does not mean it does not happen. There wuz one fella in Colorado that kept winning EVERY event he played in for a number of years.....until someone discovered scraps of paper with multiple possible locations for a single HIP AT gun in the scenario in question. He hasn't been around lately after folks started making him play by the rulz....
Unfortunately for some players just enjoying the game and the comradeship it can provide isn't as important as being The Winner. They are actually The Losers.

Last edited:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately for some players just enjoying the game and the comradeship it can provide isn't as important as being The Winner. They are actually The Losers.
So totally agree with that, isn't having real, honest FUN with like minded folks, learning a little history and making new friends or reconnecting with old ones why we are here?

The win at all costs types should go somewhere else to get their jollies where they might actually belong. We all want to win but doing it dishonestly will earn you the ire of this hobby and plenty of negative karma, you will get yours at some point, and deserve it!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
There wuz a local fella here on the Front Range who seemed top win a lot of our local events....and then someone noticed that he had multiple scraps of paper recording his HIP guns....that he would selectively reveal depending on where folks moved. He got called at an event for violating set up restrictions (not his multiple HIP notes), walked out, and we've never seen him since.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
There wuz a local fella here on the Front Range who seemed top win a lot of our local events....and then someone noticed that he had multiple scraps of paper recording his HIP guns....that he would selectively reveal depending on where folks moved. He got called at an event for violating set up restrictions (not his multiple HIP notes), walked out, and we've never seen him since.
Good riddance! Go play something solitaire so you can win as you wish...