HIP Pillbox

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ETO scenario. PIllbixes set up HIP and are placed on board as soon as the enemy has LOS to them.
PB contents set up HiP.
Are the contents placed on board at the same time as the PB?

Are the contents placed on bard concealed?

buser333

Reaction score
ETO scenario. PIllbixes set up HIP and are placed on board as soon as the enemy has LOS to them.
PB contents set up HiP.

I actually had a similar question come up, but in reverse. In the PTO some units in a PB shot and were thus brought onboard. But is the HIP PB revealed as well?
I imagine the answers to these two questions are the same.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Though not directly related to the question(s) specifically, at least tangentially the following may provide some insight:

• A12.3 & A12.33
Given “Fortifications in Concealment Terrain may always set up hidden and remain hidden until…” (A12.33), what
concealed/HIP status may a unit within such a HIP foxhole claim at setup (i.e., may it also set up HIP by fact that it is in a HIP
foxhole)?
A. No “free” HIP due to setting up in a foxhole. But a hidden Pillbox allows the contents to set up using HIP as well; B30.7.
If the foxhole is later revealed by enemy LOS, in what way is the unit in the foxhole now revealed, if at all (i.e., still HIP or
concealed, was HIP but now placed on board and Concealed, or now on board and fully revealed)?
  • A. Any hidden/concealed unit beneath a foxhole is not revealed just because the foxhole is.
As for Jeff's situation, G.2 answers this question: "...[EXC: an entrenchment whose occupant(s) are hidden is revealed when a non-Dummy enemy unit enters its Location only if ≥ one of its occupants is revealed too (see G.4); a pillbox is also revealed if any of its occupants fires]. ..."

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
PB contents set up HiP.

The Pillbox is placed on board when the enemy has LOS to them (in ETO terrain).

Its contents remain HIP within the Pillbox as it is Concealment Terrain. Basically the same as if the HIP units were in other types of Concealment Terrain.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Pillbox is placed on board when the enemy has LOS to them.

Its contents remain HIP within the Pillbox as it is Concealment Terrain. Basically the same as if the HIP units were in other types of Concealment Terrain.

von Marwitz
Therein lies the crux of the discussion: A Pillbox (Bunker) location is concealment terrain (B30.7).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would not place the contents onboard until revealed: it would give some information about their number and the possible weapons (Gun, SW) they are manning.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. The part that gave me pause was:

: A pillbox Location is Concealment Terrain; however, "?"/HIP in a pillbox neither halves the FP of, nor adds a TH DRM to, an attack on it/its-contents.

Just wanted to double check we were playing it tight.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whaaat? "30.7 CONCEALMENT: A pillbox Location is Concealment Terrain . . . ." Okay. Well, is Terrain Chart B wrong? "Pillbox" is not printed in red.