HIP Gun and special ammo

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi

Where is it specified on what happens if a HIP gun tries to hit using a special ammo and rolls too high and does not have it available?

/S

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Nothing should happen, so try not to reveal Gun until you declare a smoke attempt, pick target, and roll the dice!

See C8.9:

...The firer is free to fire again (unless it malfunctioned) with other ammunition at the same or different target with a new To Hit DR or refrain from firing altogether and instead move.​

Also:

Q. (A12.34 & C8.9) If a HIP Gun fires a depletable ammo and the Original TH DR is > the Depletion Number while not causing malfunction or low ammo, may the Gun remain HIP?​
A. Yes.​

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I assume I have to state target before rolling and that if a TCA change is included in the shot it does not matter?

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, and somewhere on GS there is a recent topic on this. I think there is a Perry Sez buried in it too. But I can't find it. May have come up in a related topic with a different title. Might have been a topic that was on tactics.

Seth

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Yes. Though perhaps you and your opponent could agree that your intentions are written down in secret first and only shown if the dice lead to an actual game result (shot fired, malfunction).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What is the order of rolls where the firer is a concealed afv that requires tomchamge it's VCAin woods or building and looks for special ammo.
Do you roll to hit first or bog check first?
If to hit first and you roll equal to special ammo but fail your bog check roll so cannot bear onnthe target, does the shit take place for ammo loss?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
What is the order of rolls where the firer is a concealed afv that requires tomchamge it's VCAin woods or building and looks for special ammo.
Do you roll to hit first or bog check first?
If to hit first and you roll equal to special ammo but fail your bog check roll so cannot bear onnthe target, does the shot take place for ammo loss?
I would say that the TH DR takes place first since the VCA change happens as a result of the TH attempt (unlike Bounding Fire where you would have to expend a MP to change VCA before firing). If there is no special ammo available, the VCA change/Bog check doesn't happen (C8.9 assumes that if you didn't have the special ammo on hand, you wouldn't have made the change in the first place).

It would be nice to have an official pronouncement to this effect, but IMHO the intention of the ASLRB is pretty clear on this.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But the TH attempt depends on the DRMs applied, including the CA change ...

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
But the TH attempt depends on the DRMs applied, including the CA change ...
All true, so I would suggest my house rule again (post #5 above). I believe the RB intends that when the depletion number is exceeded, then nothing has happened yet. According to the Q&A cited above, the vehicle could even still move in the upcoming MPh...

Last edited: