HIP Deployed

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
If SSR says one HIP squad..........................can I place two HS HIP in different locations??

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not if they're Russian (or any other nationality unable to deploy [EXC: If allowed to deploy by SSR]), even if they're given the number of HS to be able to do it. Otherwise if you able to deploy you may set up the deployed HS's anywhere they may be eligible to set up HIP.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Not if they're Russian (or any other nationality unable to deploy [EXC: If allowed to deploy by SSR]), even if they're given the number of HS to be able to do it.
Technically - by the wording of A2.9 - that's correct. Personally I doubt that is the actual intention, ymmv.

I.e., if the Russians are given one squad HIP capability and they get two HS in the OB, I always play as if those two HS can utilize the HIP SSR.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Usually the wording has "equivalent" after squad so that it is clear.
Yes "or equvalent" is important.

A12.3 only says HIP "for one or more units". It does NOT say equivalent.

So for Germans which can deploy....my take is that NO...if SSR says one squad HIP....one Location with one squad is the only thing allowed.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Yes "or equvalent" is important.

A12.3 only says HIP "for one or more units". It does NOT say equivalent.

So for Germans which can deploy....my take is that NO...if SSR says one squad HIP....one Location with one squad is the only thing allowed.
It's not, actually. It's handy, but it's not important.

A5.5 explicitly states that if given HIP capability for a squad, two HS may HIP instead. It's actually the example for equivalency.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The language I have seen that limits setup HIP is

"Can HIP one MMC"

Also designers should use "one squad equivalent" when two HS are an option.

The above removes any guesswork.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
The language I have seen that limits setup HIP is

"Can HIP one MMC"

Also designers should use "one squad equivalent" when two HS are an option.

The above removes any guesswork.
Yes. I think you nailed it. A5.5 specifically says 2 HS can be used instead of a squad for HIP.

However....it does NOT specifically say placed in 2 different Locations. Hmmmm.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The problem with an SSR specifying that "a squad equivalent" may set up HIP, is that some people will add up to four SMC (which amount to 0 equivalent) to the HIP MMC (and SMC and MMC stacked with them).
The best wording should be : "MMC up to n squad equntalented may set up HIP, as well as any possessed SW and SMC stacked with them."

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem with an SSR specifying that "a squad equivalent" may set up HIP, is that some people will add up to four SMC (which amount to 0 equivalent) to the HIP MMC (and SMC and MMC stacked with them).
The best wording should be : "MMC up to n squad equntalented may set up HIP, as well as any possessed SW and SMC stacked with them."
I can remember a VERY contentious Chicago open where this was done.
The extension of this is if it doesn't say SMC and mmc stacked with them, etc. can the "extra" 4 SMCs HIP in another hex :)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Those people are hopefully in a very minority. I wonder if the also claim they can always set up four SMX using HIP as well.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
I can remember a VERY contentious Chicago open where this was done.
The extension of this is if it doesn't say SMC and mmc stacked with them, etc. can the "extra" 4 SMCs HIP in another hex :)
wow that is hilarious. I guess you could call all this rule legalese the "fun"of the game.

and guess where this exact question arises?................I am playing in the Chicago eASL open and my opponent did this. Seemed ok to me so we let it go as a valid setup.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I saw the argument of the supplemental four SMC brought up at some occasions on this forum - IIRC by Tate Rogers.
I would never set up that way, but if I were to design a scenario I would use the wording suggested here above.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think it was more of a case of some claiming it could be interpreted that way, but not actually doing it.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it was more of a case of some claiming it could be interpreted that way, but not actually doing it.
My brother is correct. Somebody actually DID setup this way several years ago at either a Chicago ASL Open (or it may have been an Oktoberfest; the only two tourneys we attend) in the scenario Lenin's Sons by HIPing the OB-given Hero separately from the given HIP squad and stated that up to 4 SMC's counts as zero. I was still a relatively new player at the time, and kept my mouth shut. But there was a heated and at times uncomfortable argument about it for that whole day between quite a few well known players in the room.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was Chicago.... I remember the people vividly :) I could NOT remember the scenario, I still am not sure if it was that one or not but it was a case where the HIP component could have a hero with Baz? "added" and perhaps set up separately if you interpret the language that way.

In a court of law I think it might hold up but I had NEVER seen it played this way in all my years and neither had many old hands... it was a topic of discussion for the rest of the day/weekend for sure.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
SO if I had 10 squads and 4 leaders..

A squad equiv may hip and I can HIP my 4 leaders as well unless it states otherwise?

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SO if I had 10 squads and 4 leaders..

A squad equiv may hip and I can HIP my 4 leaders as well unless it states otherwise?
That was pretty much the way that player interpreted it.

It is NOT the way in which anybody I LIKE to play interprets it.