HIP ? Counters

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By SSR my entire OOB sets up HIP. 12 "?" counters are part of my OOB.
What am I going to use a HIP ? counter for?
All I can think of is to pop them out of HIP status to deny concealment.
Maybe to bring them on board, and move them out of LOS to make my opponent think I'm reinforcing a certain map area?
Not really common to see this.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 12x ? will help soak sniper...
They will deny enemy concealment attempts "unbroken to deny"...dummies are unbroken units... (it is GO to strip concealment, dummies are not GO).
The OPFOR will in effect not know you decided to NOT HIP a real MMC and hey presto you fire 4 down 2 at at the OPFOR....or whatever your FP is...
They can intimidate rout...though not directly influence it....but wait maybe you have a HS under that ? and he has to rout to the words where you are bumps into your HS...DEAD JIM...
....and so on...
Just b/c you think HIP is the better form of "position" it might not be so...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
By SSR my entire OOB sets up HIP. 12 "?" counters are part of my OOB.
What am I going to use a HIP ? counter for?
All I can think of is to pop them out of HIP status to deny concealment.
Maybe to bring them on board, and move them out of LOS to make my opponent think I'm reinforcing a certain map area?
Not really common to see this.
There's a q&a that says dummies can't be HIP. It isn't clear to me what you would use them for.

JR

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
You aren't forced to set up all your OB HIP, sometimes it can be useful to threaten approach routes/manoeuvre axis overtly rather than rely on HIP only - plus you then bring the ASL dummy stack shell game into play.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
You can't hip in non concealment terrain but you can place OB? counters on units which set up there.
OB-given "?" can only set up in Concealment Terrain.

A12.12:
"...and after setting up his regular units may place only scenario OB-designated “?” at first—but only in Terrain listed in red in the Terrain Chart/Desert Terrain Chart/PTO Terrain Chart. ..."

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You may un-HIP a sacrificial half squad in order to let your drop opponent drop concealment and still put 2 more concealment markers on top of it to let your opponent this HS is accompanied by your 9-2 and HMG.

Or you may un-HIP and move a stack out of LOS in order to make your opponent believe that you are reinforcing a part of the board.

Both are long shots to me.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the replies. I set them up on board. I'm using them to possibly force extra chit draws during OBA mechanics.
The scenario is from the Corregidor Pack , CtR6. Its a Seaborne Assault.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, could one place a real unit at the bottom of a stack and then some OB-given "?" on top, which then would all be HIP'ed?

That way when losing (or dropping HIP), you could play mind-games about the real strength of you stack i.e. it having a SW etc.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, could one place a real unit at the bottom of a stack and then some OB-given "?" on top, which then would all be HIP'ed?

That way when losing (or dropping HIP), you could play mind-games about the real strength of you stack i.e. it having a SW etc.

von Marwitz
Sounds legal to me as HIP is a form of concealment and I didn't find anything in the rules that would specifically not allow one to place "?" counters in a HIP status as well as conditionally they are considered units as defined by the index (kind of iffy though). It would be an interesting Q&A.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sounds legal to me as HIP is a form of concealment and I didn't find anything in the rules that would specifically not allow one to place "?" counters in a HIP status as well as conditionally they are considered units as defined by the index (kind of iffy though). It would be an interesting Q&A.
Since you're interested:

q&a said:
A12.11 & A12.3 Can a stack of two “?” counters use HIP as if they were an emplaced gun and a crew?
A. No; Dummies may not set up HIP
JR