Hindrances in byapss

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I assume that a bypassing unit cannot claim in hex hindrances per A6.7; however it seems strange that if PTO terrain is not in effect, the bypassing unit in the example on page A12 (last in 2nd column) cannot be attacked, but if PTO terrain is in effect (huts), it can be with -1 FFMO. Seems like hindrances that lie between the firer and aiming point should be addressed too. What do you guys think?

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting.

However, I find in A4.6 that any LOS Hindrance in the target Location makes FFMO NA.

Even though you don't receive the Hindrance DRM, FFMO is negated. That seems proper to me. (You still receive FFNAM, just as you would in any other Hindrance hex -- e.g. Grain, Brush, etc.)

Interesting also that Huts seem to be the only Hindrance hex one can Bypass. (NPTORBH- Huts are not Inherent Terrain, right?) Perhaps the Hut rule could be addressed to account for Hindrance at the aiming point, if it crosses a hut depiction, etc. Offhand I'm not sure it would ever apply to any other Hindrance.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bebakken said:
However, I find in A4.6 that any LOS Hindrance in the target Location makes FFMO NA.
I think it a stretch to apply A4.6 to this. If you want to read even more into it, you could claim that any terrain in the hex negates FFMO so that FFMO never applies to bypassing infantry. Even if you only read into the rule what you suggest, it means (looking at the example again) fire from N3 would not qualify for FFMO.

bebakken said:
Interesting also that Huts seem to be the only Hindrance hex one can Bypass. (NPTORBH- Huts are not Inherent Terrain, right?) Perhaps the Hut rule could be addressed to account for Hindrance at the aiming point, if it crosses a hut depiction, etc. Offhand I'm not sure it would ever apply to any other Hindrance.
There are also some hexes that have hindrances (brush usually) and woods/buildings in them. If the LOS hits the woods, it is blocked, but if LOS hits the brush FFMO applies.

Big problem? I don't think so, but it has come up before. I would prefer that it be erraticized.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<click>

Okay, I got you now. Took me a moment...

Yes, I would agree with you that LOS Hindrance should be accounted for as you describe. I don't ever recall seeing a woods/building hex that also had brush in it, but of course I believe you. (Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention!)

I suppose when the rule was crafted, the woods/building/brush combination hadn't been created yet.

There's this tidbit from A4.34: "Should the LOS of a firing unit reach an Open Ground Bypass hexside vertex unobstructed... that unit can claim a LOS and a First Fire -2 DRM for non-Assault Movement in the open." Not exactly a blunt instruction to apply in-hex Hindrance, but based on that an argument could easily be made as you suggest; namely, if LOS crosses the Hindrance, then the vertex is not Open Ground and FFMO does not apply.

I have no problem with that, but the ASLRB does not address it and perhaps it should.

Regards,
Bruce

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bebakken said:
Yes, I would agree with you that LOS Hindrance should be accounted for as you describe. I don't ever recall seeing a woods/building hex that also had brush in it, but of course I believe you. (Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention!)

I suppose when the rule was crafted, the woods/building/brush combination hadn't been created yet.
I asked a friend to post this to the list, although I haven't yet seen it appear.
question for the ASLML said:
Situation: a friendly unit in 17T9 bypasses S9 along the S9-S10 hexside. If an enemy unit in U7 fires at it at the T9-S9-S10 vertex, does FFMO apply and can the unit claim a brush hindrance?
The situation must have come up before. I suspect people were simply applying the in-hex hindrance contrary to the rules, which certainly makes the most common sense. I thought about it due to a PTO hut situation that came up. Hence the adoption of the example in the ASLRB.