Hillside Hedge - LOS (B9.6)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This has been asked before, but with the forum update, illustrations got lost, so for the common good it might make sense to ask again:

Picture:
Hillside hedge.jpg

Situation:
Firer in AA5. Target in CC5.

Question 1:
Does the Target receive Hedge TEM?

Question 2:
Would the Target receive Hedge TEM if the Firer at AA5 were at Level 1?

Rules:
"B9.6 HILLSIDE WALL/HEDGE: A Hillside wall/hedge is one which lies along a hexside that is common to two adjacent hexes with different Base Levels, with none of the lower Base-Level's terrain appearing between the wall/hedge depiction and the higher Base-Level's terrain depiction. Examples of Hillside walls/hedges are 25B4-B5, 25C5-C6, 25U3-U4, 25V9-W9, 25X4-X5, 8M4-M5, 8X3-X4, 12X4-Y4, and 13S4-S5. All normal wall/hedge rules apply to Hillside walls/hedges except as modified herein."

"B9.61 LOS: A Hillside wall/hedge (including both its depiction and its associated hexside; 9.1) is ignored (even along a Continuous Slope) when determining whether or not a LOS exists between units whose elevations differ by ≥ one full level [EXC: a unit entrenched behind a Hillside wall/hedge still has its LOS restricted as per 9.21]. It is likewise ignored when determining the number of Blind Hexes created by a Crest Line. If a hill Crest Line ends at a Hillside wall/hedge, the line along which the hill depiction meets the wall/hedge depiction is considered to be the actual Crest Line."

TIA,
von Marwitz

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The hedge in question is not a hillside wall/hedge, as the hexside does not lie along a hexside that is common to two adjacent hexes (BB5, CC5) that have different base levels. Both hexes are base level one. If the hedge was on the BB4-BB5 or BB4-CC5 hexsides, it might then be a hillside wall/hedge.

I don't think there is a rule that covers it exactly, but I think the hedge is entirely at level one because it is non-inherent terrain covered by B10.1.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The hedge in question is not a hillside wall/hedge, as the hexside does not lie along a hexside that is common to two adjacent hexes (BB5, CC5) that have different base levels. Both hexes are base level one. If the hedge was on the BB4-BB5 or BB4-CC5 hexsides, it might then be a hillside wall/hedge.

I don't think there is a rule that covers it exactly, but I think the hedge is entirely at level one because it is non-inherent terrain covered by B10.1.

JR
According to what you say the answers would be:

Question 1: Yes, 1+ Hedge TEM, as it is entirely at Level 1.
Question 2: Yes, 1+ Hedge TEM, as it is entirely at Level 1.

Correct?

Seems strange as this would mean a "floating" hedge.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
According to what you say the answers would be:

Question 1: Yes, 1+ Hedge TEM, as it is entirely at Level 1.
Question 2: Yes, 1+ Hedge TEM, as it is entirely at Level 1.

Correct?

Seems strange as this would mean a "floating" hedge.

von Marwitz
It is not floating. Per B10.1, "Other terrain ... is at the higher level throughout the entire depiction of the terrain in question for LOS purposes ... even if it appears to be rising from the lower level portion of the hill hex." This also applies to terrain like woods, grain, brush and buildings where they appear to span the crest line. LOS at the lower level will be blocked by hill that is underneath the other terrain.

JR

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note that recent errata to B10.1 added: "[EXC: Newer boards may depict visible Crest Lines beneath this other terrain (EX: 61F8),in which case the actual Crest Line is used to determine LOS as is the case with Inherent Terrain]" -- might that change the equation for this type of wall/hedge?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Note that recent errata to B10.1 added: "[EXC: Newer boards may depict visible Crest Lines beneath this other terrain (EX: 61F8),in which case the actual Crest Line is used to determine LOS as is the case with Inherent Terrain]" -- might that change the equation for this type of wall/hedge?
It might, but I can't say I know of a case where an explicit crest line crosses a wall/hedge. And chapter B footnote 3A suggests "deducing" where the crest line would be on boards without crest lines. For woods, hedges and similar I don't have too much trouble playing that way if my opponent wants. It gets really weird when a building spans a crest line.

Note also that B10.1 does not explicitly mention walls/hedges, only mentioning grain, brush woods, building. It does so within the context of "e.g.", so I have assumed it also applies to walls/hedges. That is not necessarily so, although I would be hard-pressed to make a sound argument the other way.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It is not floating. Per B10.1, "Other terrain ... is at the higher level throughout the entire depiction of the terrain in question for LOS purposes ... even if it appears to be rising from the lower level portion of the hill hex."
Indeed, I was imprecise. It is rather a level 1 hill with a hedge poking out.

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It is actually only meant for those boards where the Crest Line is drawn above the grain depiction. Although on the new Deluxe board l - the Crest Line is drawn above the Woods depiction, so it applies on those as well.