Highlighting question

Ricter

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought I would get my concern out to others. I have recently gotten into SL and ASL, and have been toying with the idea of highlighting my RBs for quicker reference. I was wondering if this was a good idea and if many of you have done it as well?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some people are into it and some people are not. I highlighted two different rulebooks, partially to make certain passages stick out, but also to force me really to read the rules and not skim them.

One thing I discovered--things that you highlight at the start are not necessarily the things you want highlighted when you are more experienced....

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I highlight. Numerous times during a game I have referenced The Tome and have saved time by catching the highlighted rule. Do what is necessary to make yourself a more effective player.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This can be taken to the extreme. I have actually seen a rulebook that was highlighted alsmost completely (in different colors)

This seemed to counteract the original intent in my opinion.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Highlighting works to filter important stuff from fluff and filler. The RB does not have a significant amount of fluff or filler; it is not written as prose.

If you need reminders, you should check out the various "cheat" cards that players have developed. Those cards take the place of inking up a rule book only to realize later that the highlight distracted you from a caveat to the rule.

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brushin' up on a rule or two......

Highlight? I don't even read it. Probably explains why I suck at the game :lol:

klsmith

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't highlight any of the rules in mine, but I did go through and highlight in yellow the main section headers (8. DEFENSIVE FIRE PRINCIPLES), and I highlighted in green everything in the next tier (8.1 FIRST FIRE, 8.2 RESIDUAL FIREPOWER, 8.3 SUBSEQUENT FIRST FIRE).

It helps when you're browsing for a rule. It would be nice if there was a type design heirarchy in the ASL rulebook.

NoPrisoners

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never highlight. Feels like writing in a book. I also refrain because highlighting draws the eye, maybe away from something else it also needs to read. I find it distracting, too. Text of the same color facilitates the reading thereof, for me anyway.

NP