HiF Perimeter

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Playing HiF CG I. I have an AFV in a Strategic Location, which is a type C Isolated Area. The AFV successfully escapes. According to 3.6064 I have to determine the type of lsolated Area again after the escape, so it becomes a type A (empty). The location is adjacent to a location which is part of my perimeter, so the language in italics in 3.6062 does not apply. This would mean that the location becomes No Man's Land. However, according to 3.6051, a Strategic Location cannot be No Man's Land. What happens to the location? (We could simply apply the higher number rule, but if that it the intention it seems a bit strange 3.6051 does not contain an exception for 3.6062.)

AK

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm a bit confused about how it is an isolated area if it is next to your perimeter. In order for it to be isolated, an enemy perimeter would have to overlap it. The enemy perimeter can't be traced through it, as it is a strategic location. That means the enemy perimeter would have to go around it on the far side. That would then mean that the "perimeter" it is next to is also isolated. What you describe might be possible, but I'm having trouble seeing how. Can you post a picture?

JR

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
This is the situation (ignore the dashed lines). To my mind, we cannot inlude X12 in the US perimeter without violating the 'no overlap'. rule (3.605).
AK96429642

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This is the situation (ignore the dashed lines). To my mind, we cannot inlude X12 in the US perimeter without violating the 'no overlap'. rule (3.605).
View attachment 9642View attachment 9642

AK
Ah, the "no overlap rule." It is definitely true that you can't trace x13-x12-x13. Because X12 is a pocket, it is isolated [3.6056]. The strategic location remains American-controlled. The term "no man's land" is correct because per HF3.2, no man's land includes "Locations that are either outside both Perimeter Areas or part of a type A (i.e., unoccupied) Isolated Area." By this definition, no man's land can contain strategic locations. I think the 3.2 definition is right, and that 3.6051 is wrong to say that strategic locations can't be part of no man's land. As a practical matter I would play it that the hex maintains its American control but, obviously, no American units can set up in it.

JR