Hidden Gem Scenarios

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked CH167 - The Warlord's Estate.

It was in the ASL Open one year, so playings are at 15 wins per side.

Looks like a beer and pretzels scenario, but there is more subtlety. How can you not like the Chinese warlord himself riding into battle in an armored car.
Upon reading this I went to see if I had this scenario, apparently it was in the last CH! item I ever bought in 2003. I have to admit the situation does indeed look interesting, although yet another fight over building 3M2 is in idea long in the tooth.

I also note that the compass rose points down! That's a formula sure to confuse someone's set up and/or entry. Why would Glenn have done that?

Thanks for the post, I'll set it aside in the "to play" pile.

As long as we're throwing CH! some love (apparently this is Opposite Day) I had a lot of fun playing CH25 Land of the Khan.

I lost as the Chinese on the last turn of the game but it was a blast to play with the three hidden VC. I chose one which I ignored for six turns to make it look like it was not what we were fighting over - a calculated "long con" which almost yielded victory.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most likely could have seen similar attire in Haight Ashbury around the same time. Probably the same " inspiration ".🤪

I think Steranko at Marvel was similarly inspired. Some of his two page illustrations were definitely far out and groovy. 😉😉
Here's two from HA district summer of 67. Not sure but I think the dude in the sunglasses looks an awful lot like Gary Fortenberry when he was a younger man......

:)

Attachments

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have fond memories of playing O58.1 "the Furher's Firemen with Gord Reid circa 1988 or 1989.
A true monster scenario that was fun.

Are OAF scenarios available for download anywhere?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have fond memories of playing O58.1 "the Furher's Firemen with Gord Reid circa 1988 or 1989.
A true monster scenario that was fun.

Are OAF scenarios available for download anywhere?
To the best of my knowledge, no. Some, but not all, of them have reprintings done by CH.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
AFAIK........No. The newsletter ended in the mid-90s, and I last talked with Terry around that time.
There was some small controversy about his tournament, mainly accessibility, but he was one of the early boys and his contributions to the hobby should not be overlooked. I can't recall ever meeting him although Fish did and I believe Nixon did also.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Ranger Stronghold T3/179

We played this five times on December 27th, 1987. Fish was the Americans in all five scenarios. I beat him the first four scenarios and he won the last one. I have a note about the fifth one that says great scenario.

One of the few times I beat Fish four times straight so I would have to say it's skewed towards the Germans.

Whether we particularly enjoyed this one or just kept playing it out of obstinace on Fish's part I really can't recall. If I had to put money on it I would say the latter was the greater influence. The Grofaz did not like to lose.

Not that many playings on the Archive, didn't check ROAR.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
For the Americans to win with that 1943 model bazooka, takes persistence!
I'll have to check the notebook and see what comments I made. Have to help Actiondebbie cover some plants first, it's going to snow tonight.

buser333

Reaction score
Ranger Stronghold T3/179

We played this five times on December 27th, 1987. Fish was the Americans in all five scenarios. I beat him the first four scenarios and he won the last one. I have a note about the fifth one that says great scenario.

One of the few times I beat Fish four times straight so I would have to say it's skewed towards the Germans.

Whether we particularly enjoyed this one or just kept playing it out of obstinace on Fish's part I really can't recall. If I had to put money on it I would say the latter was the greater influence. The Grofaz did not like to lose.

Not that many playings on the Archive, didn't check ROAR.
The Germans have a 2:1 margin in units, and this can easily be increased by deployment. Throw in two tanks, smoke capability, and the ability to surround the Americans on the hill and it'll be a tough go for the Americans most times. Don't envy you the snow...stay warm!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The Germans have a 2:1 margin in units, and this can easily be increased by deployment. Throw in two tanks, smoke capability, and the ability to surround the Americans on the hill and it'll be a tough go for the Americans most times. Don't envy you the snow...stay warm!
It does seem like a considerable challenge for the Americans.

Snow in April not that unusual but a PITA for all the gardeners like Actiondebbie that jump the gun.🙄

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AFAIK........No. The newsletter ended in the mid-90s, and I last talked with Terry around that time.

Yep 1997 was the end, about the same time as TAHGC began folding.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'll have to check the notebook and see what comments I made. Have to help Actiondebbie cover some plants first, it's going to snow tonight.
Didn't see anything extraordinary. The first two went to 4A the last three to 6B.