Hidden Gem Scenarios

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all. As ASL players, we are always chasing the latest and greatest scenario pack/HASL. Over the years, this has led to some truly exceptional scenarios becoming largely forgotten or bypassed. They may have had a brief flurry of playings on ROAR before being passed by, or not even had that level of playing. So what are your hidden/forgotten gems? I will start off with three of mine.
Win Pack 1 Attack On The Partisan Headquarters
Ost Front Pack scenario #2 Storm, Five, Five, Five
DB080 Task Force to Cotignac
The first is a large scenario with the Partisans needing to decide between breaking out or staying and fighting for their HQ, or a combination of both. I played it years back and loved it.
Storm, Five, Five, Five is a medium sized combined arms battle with a lot in play for both the Soviets and the Germans. It flows and plays well and is an absolute hoot.
Finally, Task Force to Cotignac is one of the best Dispatches scenarios no one can ever seem to recall. Very well balanced 44 fight between Americans/Partisans and Germans. It's medium sized as well and had a nice short run of popularity before being skipped over inevitably by the new stuff. I always thought it one of the best. Good job Joe Gochinski.

So what hidden gem scenarios do you have?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hello all. As ASL players, we are always chasing the latest and greatest scenario pack/HASL. Over the years, this has led to some truly exceptional scenarios becoming largely forgotten or bypassed. They may have had a brief flurry of playings on ROAR before being passed by, or not even had that level of playing. So what are your hidden/forgotten gems? I will start off with three of mine.
Win Pack 1 Attack On The Partisan Headquarters
Ost Front Pack scenario #2 Storm, Five, Five, Five
DB080 Task Force to Cotignac
The first is a large scenario with the Partisans needing to decide between breaking out or staying and fighting for their HQ, or a combination of both. I played it years back and loved it.
Storm, Five, Five, Five is a medium sized combined arms battle with a lot in play for both the Soviets and the Germans. It flows and plays well and is an absolute hoot.
Finally, Task Force to Cotignac is one of the best Dispatches scenarios no one can ever seem to recall. Very well balanced 44 fight between Americans/Partisans and Germans. It's medium sized as well and had a nice short run of popularity before being skipped over inevitably by the new stuff. I always thought it one of the best. Good job Joe Gochinski.

So what hidden gem scenarios do you have?
Do you have any particular criteria for what is to be considered a hidden gem? Or is it open to individual interpretation?

Nice idea for a thread btw.🤔🤗

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you have any particular criteria for what is to be considered a hidden gem? Or is it open to individual interpretation?

Nice idea for a thread btw.🤔🤗
100% personal interpretation. The only real criteria is that by Hidden Gem, it is implied that it is not a scenario widely recognized/played, but that the writer considers outstanding and worth a second look from people. For instance, 3rd RTR in The Rain, is not a "Hidden Gem". Great scenario, but extremely popular. Within that very loose criteria, have fun with the discussion.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Three off the top of my head, two of them DASL. If ROAR playings are any measure, the reported playings of 2, 3, and 5 respectively speaks for itself. GREAT scenarios, but seemingly played little.

DB 068 "Exit Pole"...great DASL night action between Germans and Poles. The smaller map footprint of DASL makes one fine-tune your Night moves in regard to infiltrating and bypassing strongpoints. Designed by some nutty recluse from back East. ;) [ROAR, 2 playings]

FT159 "Tangled At Tsangkou"...great, sprawling, largish action between GMD and CCP Chinese. You get to use the perilous traits of the Chinese against each other. Red Chinese Assault Engineers for crying out loud! [ROAR, 3 playings]

ESG 7 "Backstab"...great DASL action between Italians and French. Both sides have AFV, and the Italians have a FT AFV. Wire, roadblocks, and Italian Sappers with a FT. Loved it. [ROAR, 5 playings]

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HB7 High Tide. I playtested this scenario on both geomorphs and on the K2 map when it was finally published. It is a swirling metal-fest of Eastern Front action. I still carry it around with me to events and tourneys hoping to play it yet again some time.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked CH167 - The Warlord's Estate.

It was in the ASL Open one year, so playings are at 15 wins per side.

Looks like a beer and pretzels scenario, but there is more subtlety. How can you not like the Chinese warlord himself riding into battle in an armored car.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just as big as and just as much fun as American Tragedy (the huge cave scenario set on the KR map) is the big scenario from UV. "119" - an epic cave scenario set on Iwo.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just love the trappings of gentlemanly society!🥰🥰

Although shouldn't it be Mr. Bubba?🤔🤔😉😉🤣🤣
Perhaps. Although in England it might be "Cheerio ole Bubba". I've successfully hijacked my own thread. The shame.......

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not hijacking, if it's your own thread.
It is correcting the steering to the correct track. (or is it?)

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Speaking of correcting course. So what other scenarios have their light hidden under a basket folks?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Is Destroy All Monsters by ESG a hidden gem? Or is it widely recognised as a classic? Loved this scenario. One of the best monster scenarios out there.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is Destroy All Monsters by ESG a hidden gem? Or is it widely recognised as a classic? Loved this scenario. One of the best monster scenarios out there.
All in the eye of the beholder. I played it also and liked it. It got a fair amount of press though and is well known, so not sure on the hidden part.