Hi from Italy

Barbara

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Country
llItaly
My name is Barbara and I suppose one of the few female wargamer in Italy, here such gender boundaries in hobbies, interest and jobs are still strong to be overcome.
I started playing wargames in 1985, with Panzergruppe Guderian, the AH edition, later I played modern wargame like NATO, the VG,s Fleet games and last but not the least the Napoleonic La Bataille series from Clash of Arms.
I have now decided to venture into Advanced Squad Leader world.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi Barbara,
Welcome to the madhouse !
It indeed is a rare instance to see a woman playing wargames, and especially ASL. This is pleasing news to hear.
Do you know of other women who play wargames?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My name is Barbara and I suppose one of the few female wargamer in Italy, here such gender boundaries in hobbies, interest and jobs are still strong to be overcome.
I started playing wargames in 1985, with Panzergruppe Guderian, the AH edition, later I played modern wargame like NATO, the VG,s Fleet games and last but not the least the Napoleonic La Bataille series from Clash of Arms.
I have now decided to venture into Advanced Squad Leader world.
Welcome to ASL, I wish you the best in finding an opponent and maybe a ‘mentor’ to learn the ropes. You have found a great game with an amazing community, have fun.

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Welcome! Best way to learn the game is to play and opponents can easily be found online using either VASL (link) or the map (link). Have fun.

Barbara

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Country
llItaly
Hi Barbara,
Welcome to the madhouse !
It indeed is a rare instance to see a woman playing wargames, and especially ASL. This is pleasing news to hear.
Do you know of other women who play wargames?
Hi Robin, I don't actually know any woman playing wargames, but I guess in the States there are.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There is an active Italian ASL community.
Are you aware of it?
I have been tempted to go to one of their meetings, as I live in neighbouring Switzerland.
But my work and other occupations swamp my weekends, so it is only a remote thought.

Barbara

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Country
llItaly
Welcome to ASL, I wish you the best in finding an opponent and maybe a ‘mentor’ to learn the ropes. You have found a great game with an amazing community, have fun.
Welcome! Best way to learn the game is to play and opponents can easily be found online using either VASL (link) or the map (link). Have fun.
Thanks! Yes, I have a mentor, and once a week we play ASL on VASL, I'm still playing a starter kit, but soon I'll throw myself into the full rules :eek:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I don't actually know any woman playing wargames, but I guess in the States there are.
Welcome to ASL (&SK).

There is one woman in Germany whom I have played against in an ASL tournament.

But you are correct in your assessment, that women playing ASL are what an ASLer would term an EXC (i.e. Exception).

A couple of years ago there was a strange dude here who posed as himself AND two young women playing ASL with seperate accounts... But this should not deter you as we are usually content to shove around some counters instead of handling multiple egos. ;)

To get into the game, you made two of the best steps that can be taken already:
You found a mentor and VASL. This will help the speed of your learning process immensely.

Have fun with the game!

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Barbara

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Country
llItaly
Thanks Von Marwitz, my ASL mentor told me about a woman ASL player from Spain who also played at Rome convention, anyway I like history and wargames doesn't matter my opponent's gender.
Yesterday evening I started playing my first scenario full ASL, what a satisfaction!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thanks Von Marwitz, my ASL mentor told me about a woman ASL player from Spain who also played at Rome convention, anyway I like history and wargames doesn't matter my opponent's gender.
Yesterday evening I started playing my first scenario full ASL, what a satisfaction!
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your first game of full ASL.

The good thing about ASL:

It is a gift that keeps on giving.
Even after decades of play, you will always be able to find something new, come up with a new trick, be surprised by a deft tactic, and come across a rule, that you have never seen (or more likely have forgotten more than once... :LOL:).
On top of that, the people in the community are nice - a bit like a 'band of brothers' of sorts.

von Marwitz