HF3 First Timers from Hatten in Flames

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
It was just too tempting to get this on the table!

I played the German defenders against Kevin Conley's attacking Americans.

VIEW AT SETUP

SETUP.jpg

TURN 3
Turn 3.jpg

VIEW AT END

END GAME.jpg
We had a great time playing this one.

The Americans came on with some force (2 tanks and 4 5 squads) in F30 in order to turn the German's northern (right on photos) flank. This force ended up taking 2 building locations by the end of the game.

The most exciting moment in the game for the Germans was when an 8-0 stepped out of the stone building in I23 to DM a broken squad and then grab a panzerfaust and proceed to roast a Sherman! This saved the Panzer IVs for an extra turn of action too as they were pretty well doomed.

The Americans attacking from the south quickly gained a foothold in N22 but then got stymied by rubble and defenders and never got out of the L21 bottleneck to really exploit west and grab some more buildings.

As the Germans I was fortunate to receive very few WP shots. I broke my MMG on it's first DFF and in general rolled terribly but was able to survive!

The Americans ended up with 11 of 13 needed buildings.

Attachments

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks for the AAR: the scenario seems balanced and fun to play, with a "vanilla" feel (which makes one develop tactics from basics, rather than wading in too many esoteric rules).
The winterized map is very nice - hexes seem Red Barricades size or so...
Even if I haven't been able to drag my Alsatian wife into wargaming (nor boardgaming), she will have a look at that map.
And I like that your counters are "vintage" (I seem to have noticed that one of your German HS is a double lettered one from Paratrooper...): ASL is a game which endures time passing!

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the AAR: the scenario seems balanced and fun to play, with a "vanilla" feel (which makes one develop tactics from basics, rather than wading in too many esoteric rules).
The winterized map is very nice - hexes seem Red Barricades size or so...
Even if I haven't been able to drag my Alsatian wife into wargaming (nor boardgaming), she will have a look at that map.
And I like that your counters are "vintage" (I seem to have noticed that one of your German HS is a double lettered one from Paratrooper...): ASL is a game which endures time passing!
Thanks Robin! Yes I have quite the assortment of counters after 20 years (I know this is a short time of playing compared to many here). Thanks for your comment. We plan to play through all the scenarios soon.

carlsson

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Played this one with a friend a couple of days ago. Ther Germans didn't have much of a chance.
Me, as the US, Prep Fired Smoke and WP against the German Front, and then moved up close to the Germans. I also came in with a platoon and two Shermans from the west side.
The Germans were quite unlucky with the dice, but it still seemed hard for them.
However, nice scenario. :)