Hey, who dropped this demo charge?

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The opponent moves a squad with a DC and places that DC in a location that contains a concealed enemy unit, surviving all DFF. The concealed unit does not fire so the DC is now operably placed in the location with the concealed unit. Later in the same MPh, another squad attempts to enter the concealed unit's location, revealing a dummy and ending his MPh there. The DC-friendly squad is in the location with the operably placed demo charge when it detonates in the AFPh - what happens to the squad? We assumed it was attacked by the DC as usual, but now I wonder if A7.4 "Target Determination" applies, e.g., "a unit/weapon may purposely attack a friendly unit if specifically allowed by the rules governing a particular circumstance..." This circumstance is not addressed in the rules, as far as I can tell.

Should the friendly unit in the same location as the DC its own side placed suffer the attack when it detonates?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A friendly unit not in Melee is not attacked by a placed DC. A placed DC is not one of the exceptions for attacking friendly units. The DC blows up and affects terrain, but does not affect the friendly unit (directly; rubble may make for a bad result in the end).

JR

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A friendly unit not in Melee is not attacked by a placed DC. A placed DC is not one of the exceptions for attacking friendly units. The DC blows up and affects terrain, but does not affect the friendly unit (directly; rubble may make for a bad result in the end).

JR
I know of a game where a DC was place and blow up a Japanese squad, but the rubble also killed 3 squads in the same hex (another location though).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I know of a game where a DC was place and blow up a Japanese squad, but the rubble also killed 3 squads in the same hex (another location though).
I had that experience with my Russians placing a DC from 1st level of a building upstairs...