HexDraw released. DYO HASL Map

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
Marc, there is nothing won by providing an internal pixelpainting program.

I bought texturemaker today so I can draw better textures.
The response to my request for help on painting ASL-terrain was nearly zero.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Dan,

I am not aware of one but I have made my own DTO by changing the RGB hill colors and making my own hammada and wadis. I can send these to you if you want. However, I was not able to successfully come up with the spray paint-looking hillock terrain.

And if you haven't found it yet, I highly recommend Don Lazov's hexdraw libraries: https://github.com/dlazov/HexDrawLibrary
They are more expansive than the default Hexdraw ASL library. Alan (Footsteps) also has shared some very nice building terrain libraries here on GS but not sure if you can still get to them after the upgrade.

there's also a hexdraw group on consimworld but not very active: http://social.consimworld.com/group/hexdrawusers

Good luck and welcome to the Hexdraw fold!

Vinny

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
All my maps have been made in Hexdraw then cleaned up with Gimp2 and then VASL'd by a certain VASL map elf. Hexdraw is IMHO awesome and really user friendly.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for Hexdraw 1.1! I am added a couple of factory sized buildings, one, six hexes and, two, eight hexes. I also added some railroad sections to the overlay menu. I just use the sunken road or elevated road on the railroad sections.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys! As soon as I finish Dinant I want to do a desert project I've been thinking about for years.
If its anything like Ruweisat Ridge, it will be a must buy for me!

When your desert project approaches the 'light of day ', I would love to help with the playtesting.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My idea is to develop a "Sandbox" for desert and down the road perhaps east front steppe terrain. It would consist of two 22x34 maps with generic desert terrain (Hamada, scrub, sand) on the maps and utilize overlays.

The overlays would not require cutting (except perhaps to cut a page in half or quarters) on a 8.5x11 or center of an Annual.

This type of system would allow designers to create the necessary terrain utilizing current overlays and self designed ones. It could open the desert up to some real long range actions. This type of map/overlay system could be ported to the Russian steppe.

The problem I'm having is figuring how to set up the maps. Haven't quite gotten the depictions for the color and the correct depiction. Any help would be appreciated.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I think the Desert mapboards are pretty much generic already - apart from one (25 I believe), they have open desert terrain, and even some of the specific Desert terrains only appear on overlays.

If one wants to have very long-range Desert engagements, it's probably simpler to get more than one copy of the "generic" Desert boards.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem I'm having is figuring how to set up the maps. Haven't quite gotten the depictions for the color and the correct depiction.
I believe it. The MMP desert board Open Ground pattern is... whoa. And yet, you probably do want to try to match it as well as possible. As with most pattern-related things, my guess is you just need to poke around enough to find the magic combination that works.

Wish I could help, but I'm full-up at the moment.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I have been trying to create a desert texture using colors from the Cabal VASL manual. I think scrub, etc. will have to be overlays.

Attachments

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree with Brad. But I think you need to tone down the contrast, because what I see are distinct terrain-like features rather than desert open ground.

ZenRiver

Heretic
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The problem I'm having is figuring how to set up the maps. Haven't quite gotten the depictions for the color and the correct depiction. Any help would be appreciated.
It is not so easy to do when you can have some very dull terrain versus some very contrasting terrain. Speaking as someone who did a large collection of desert maps for my own campaign battles, the problem with generic sand is you lose a lot of interpretation that realism oriented terrain provides.

Trying to get a texture that is seamless and that would work within VASL would be challenging. Perhaps giving people the option to select multiple different background textures that suit their own eye and depth would work with a computer version. Printed boards less so. I think I managed to come up with one that works well, but not using the seamless textures at individual hex level.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I posted my latest ASL library file in the file section of my ASL-SL Scenario Design Facebook Group page. It includes about thirty slope hexside overlays.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe it. The MMP desert board Open Ground pattern is... whoa. And yet, you probably do want to try to match it as well as possible. As with most pattern-related things, my guess is you just need to poke around enough to find the magic combination that works.

Wish I could help, but I'm full-up at the moment.
That's where I am at the moment ... Whoa!