Hex Grid remains "on top"

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Hex Grid Draggable Overlay seems to Remain "ON TOP" of units and you really can't get to the units that are on/in the grid.

It doesn't seem to Drop to the bottom as other DO do.

Consistent issue so much so that it's unusable.

Hmm, it happens with the TB double dashed representation as well.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I noted the same behaviour with the 1-5 hex markers often used to mark setup areas. I could select the top counter of a stack within such an area but could not select/expand the whole stack. If I dragged the overlay away, then the stack worked properly.

@uckelman any thoughts about this.

I was using the same vasl/vassal versions as Stew above. In my case it was a game created by someone else and sent to me. I know they used 6.6.3.1 but not sure it it was vassal3.5.8 or 3.6.3.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw a similar behavior in the VASSAL TLD module. Module version 0.8b082b has this issue and the Field Fortification counter has a large area associated with it that placed a shaded area in the 3 hexes for Zone of Control. You could not select other counters underneath the counter, nor could you have other units in that large area, and that counter was always on top. Version 0.8b083e removed this extended ZOC, although it still has stacking issues. The "fix" is to move the units and then move back, that seems to fix the issue.
I bring that up as it seems it is something in the VASSAL code (I am using 3.6.2 right now) given this similar behavior in a different module.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What's the earliest version where you can reproduce the problem?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I tested my saved game on 3.5.8/6.6.3.1 and the problem existed with those versions.

I slightly mis-described the problem I am experiencing. I can expand stacks but cannot select individual units from the expanded stack to move them within the stack or to move them out of the stack.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This happens with labels also. I think the problem is that draggable overlays are added to the top layer in a hex where they used to be added to the bottom layer by default.

If you select the draggable overlay (label, grid, etc) and then click on the down arrow it will send it to the bottom of the stack and then you can get to the counters normally.

I'm not sure when this started. I can do some testing when I get home tonight.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you select the draggable overlay (label, grid, etc) and then click on the down arrow it will send it to the bottom of the stack and then you can get to the counters normally.
You are correct. This does not appear as an option on the right-click popup menu for these overlays. But as you say, selecting the overlay and then tapping the down arrow key will move the overlay to the bottom and the stacks will then perform normally. This is the case in vassal3.5.8. Haven't tested it with 3.6.3 yet.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are correct. This does not appear as an option on the right-click popup menu for these overlays. But as you say, selecting the overlay and then tapping the down arrow key will move the overlay to the bottom and the stacks will then perform normally. This is the case in vassal3.5.8. Haven't tested it with 3.6.3 yet.
It did not behave this way in earlier versions but I am not in a position to figure out when it changed. I can do some testing later.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally got around to testing this. The bad behavior first appears in VASSAL 3.5.0.

To reiterate: in VASSAL 3.5.8/VASL 6.3.3 when I add a draggable overlay to a hex with existing counters, the overlay appears on top of the counters and requires me to select it and press the down arrow to send it underneath.

Test cases:

VASSAL 3.413/VASL 6.6.1 overlay placed in the bottom layer - OK
VASSAL 3.50/VASL 6.6.1 overlay placed on top - Bad

Let me know if you need more testing