Heroic Leader dies from second wound?

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does an already wounded Heroic Leader automatically die from a second wound like a regular Hero? (Rolled an 11 on an NMC.)
A15.2, 15.21, etc.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes.
Being a hero usually doesn't have a positive effect on life expectancy.
Indeed.

I have just re-learned that recently.

In an AAR, I wrote about a British Hero, aptly named 'Higgins' which was created during the game and who survived no less than 6 Wound Checks before going down. I quipped that I was disappointed as I was convinced that the man should have 9 lives. On that occasion, I was reminded, that he would indeed have died on the second Wound Check.

Also remember 'Murphy's ASL Laws':
It is always your 10-2 or 10-3 Leader which HoB's to become Heroic, only to go down soon thereafter to a Wound. Been there, suffered that...

von Marwitz

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Also remember 'Murphy's ASL Laws':
It is always your 10-2 or 10-3 Leader which HoB's to become Heroic, only to go down soon thereafter to a Wound. Been there, suffered that...
There was me thinking it only happened to me. If it helps, you're not the only person who has suffered that :)

I played a game last night where my 9-2, on an NMC, rolled boxcars and then a five on the wound severity. Game over..........

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This has always, maybe unreasonably, annoyed me. I woukd prefer to see leaders die and heroes going on and on. It feels the wrong way around.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to be clear, if he took a second k/ result, he could have made it. You roll wound severity then. When he fails an MC when wounded, it's curtains.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just to be clear, if he took a second k/ result, he could have made it. You roll wound severity then. When he fails an MC when wounded, it's curtains.
Yes, just so.

I believe in our game it did not make much of a difference in the end as the main point of the Heroics of Higgins consisted of attempting to get ADJACENT with some buddies to some German MG-nest that eventually probably cost me the damn game for being unbreakable and having stashed a seemingly inexhaustible supply of ammo and spare barrels in its dirty Foxhole. Higgins tried time and again, but somehow always seemd to end up alone and not quite up the CC-odds which were suddenly facing him. So he went to fetch some more buddies for help. Rinse & repeat...

von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, just so.

I believe in our game it did not make much of a difference in the end as the main point of the Heroics of Higgins consisted of attempting to get ADJACENT with some buddies to some German MG-nest that eventually probably cost me the damn game for being unbreakable and having stashed a seemingly inexhaustible supply of ammo and spare barrels in its dirty Foxhole. Higgins tried time and again, but somehow always seemd to end up alone and not quite up the CC-odds which were suddenly facing him. So he went to fetch some more buddies for help. Rinse & repeat...

von Marwitz
Yes, I bring it up just to be thorough, because as always, ASL has a "few" exceptions. I had a wounded hero eat a table 36 and my opponent got a final 7. "Not a k/4" my opponent bemoaned. Sure enough, a 3 was rolled for severity and my wounded hero continued his life as a thorn in his side.

If it's in the game............it's in the game ;-).

Von Kar

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Now I'm confused ...
According to A17.11 "A wounded man who is wounded again must add a +1 drm to his Wound Severity dr. There is no additional penalty for being wounded more than once."

How does this add up with dying automatically from a second wound ?
I must be missing something.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Now I'm confused ...
According to A17.11 "A wounded man who is wounded again must add a +1 drm to his Wound Severity dr. There is no additional penalty for being wounded more than once."

How does this add up with dying automatically from a second wound ?
I must be missing something.
This rule is the general rule about wounds.
A wounded Hero which fails an MC is eliminated, which is an exception to the wounds rule.
A15.2 : "... If a wounded hero fails a MC it is eliminated;"

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Murphy's Law of ASL: Your 10-3 is not Chuck Norris! [Chuck Norris only gets grazed by bullets, your 10-3 is always mortal]