Heroes 2007. AAR. Long. Lots of text. No Pictures!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Heroes 2007 - Blackpool, UK - 8th-11th March

Well, having had numerous late nights in the run up to the tourney as I did battle with finishing my Masters thesis the day before the tourney, I viewed the trip to Blackpool as a well earned rest. Myself and Neil Brunger set off early Thursday morning with Neil taking the piss as I was taking all my maps, all my OBs and apparently way too much stuff that I just wouldn't need. Neil had trimmed his travel kit down to just what would be needed for the tournament. This planning came to nought though as on arrival in Blackpool he realised he'd left half his counters in a box in his front room! So much for planning :)

As we traveled down I commented on the fact that you just never see any hitchhikers on the roads now. I used to hitch a lot years ago and it was a great way to travel. Only got picked up by psychos once. maybe twice :) Anyway, last coffee stop about 40 miles from Blackpool Neil spotted a hitcher. We picked him up as he was going to Blackpool. Turned out he lived in the next street to me and we'd driven past his house as we left that morning! Small world...

Enough. On to the ASL. I'd decided not to play in the tourney this year as I've been helping out Shaun Carter playtest the Kohima module (For Your Tomorrows) and volunteered to work through some of the geoboard scenarios over the weekend. So having chilled a little and watched for the other early arrivals I settled down to a first game against Brian Hooper.

FYTG2 - Gun Control Sangshak, India 26 March 1944, is played on 2 halfboards of the High Ground pack. Indian Paras and Mountain artillery fending off another counterattack from the Japanese who already have a foothold on the hilltop. I made the mistake of allowing him an easy high FP Prep shot which punched a hole in my defence and then his INF gun smoked my covering forces and my defence rapidly crumbled. I didn't have much luck with the dice but Brian pushed forward relentlessly and soon my troops were scattered and my guns in enemy hands. Not a good start to the weekend but it was interesting to discuss the scenario after and look at different approaches.

After a short break the evening commenced with another Kohima playtest, this time against Shaun.

FTYG8 A Scottish Pavillion. Kohima Ridge, India, 2 May 1944. The Royal Scots and the Manchester Regiment defend 2 hill tops on half of board 36 from a Japanese attack from the jungle covered hill of board 39. Both sides get reinforced on Turn 3 and the attack takes place at Night. I've been playing few Night scenarios recently and have really taken to it. My Japanese attack went well, getting in close before detection and skirting round both flanks. My main attack was against the western hilltop which I took easily after some lucky CCs and taking out his few HIP guys. My reinforcements came on in the west too so moved rapidly to attack the east hill as my initial attack was being pushed back by the British reinforcements after taking the hilltop. My final onslaught down the valley and up again took the hill back but his final turn attack threatened to take a VC location back. Luckily I pinned his 9-1 and killed his hero as they piled into the last CC with my wounded leader and HS. He only managed a CR result taking out the HS as my wounded leader brandished his sword and held the hill at the last. A close and fun scenario that I'd happily play again.

That saw the end of the first days action with one embarrassing defeat and one hard fought victory.

Friday morning was to be another Kohima scenario against Shaun, the rather aptly titled...

FYTG4 Wakey Wakey.Zuzba, India. 13th April 1944. Starting with Night in effect on turn 1 only, followed by an LV this used half of board 38 as elements of the 138th Infantry Division launch a surprise attack against the relieving troops of the 2nd British Division. The crews of the 3 Lee tanks start the game out of them and as the Japanese attacker I knew I needed to get in close fast before they mounted up and opened up on my vulnerable troops. Sending one force to attack frontally and the bulk to skirt through the woods on the west flank the attack started in earnest as the sun rose on turn 2. I manged to break one of the crews at long range and overrrun his forward guards. As I closed through the woods and prepared for the main attack he had two tanks up and running and things did not look good as his reinforcements entered on turn 3 to threaten the rear of my attack. I managed two tank-hunter heroes. One died en route, the other reached a tank failed to destroy it. Keeping up the pressure I manged to get in and immobilise the empty Lee and then close on another. The third luckily malfed both guns letting me get in to contact. I immobilised a second tank and he repaired one gun. The VCs required at least 2 functioning guns on modile AFVs so on the last turn it came down to whether he could repair his other MA and if so, whether I could get in and kill him! Luckily he rolled a 6 on the repair so victory was mine! I was getting to like playing the Japanese at Night :D

The afternoon saw another playtest, this time against Ben Jones, and from the upcoming Normandy pack.

Blast and Burn saw US troops assaulting German pillboxes, trenches and wire defending two 150mm guns. The attack is from the rear so unless careless the US shouldn't get shot at by these. This one seemed to have a few problems as the Germans can set up right back with all defences around the guns. It took me 3 turns of just moving troops to get into contact with the Germans basically doing nothing. Very boring for both sides! When I got there I was faced with multiple firelanes, wire and mines. Not ideal for low ML troops. And I lost my only flamethrower as well! The one Sherman the US get didn't have much luck either. With one turn to go still it was obvious I stood no chance so resigned. This one definitely needs some work and Chas has this in hand following our report.

Come evening I faced Ben again. We'd had enough of playtesting so chose one from RBF4.

RBF-45 Lone Bridge Across the Volga. Played on half of boards 45 and 51 and utilising the river overlay - which takes a long time to cut out! - from AOO on Bd 45 my Russians were defending the bridge with mostly conscripts, a 76 ART piece in a pillbox, and two 37L AA guns in sangars. I set the pillbox and gun off to the side covering the bridge, one AA covering the appoach and the other to the flank again covering the bridge. A delaying force set up on board 51 to slow the advance and I had MGs and mortars on the roofs and upper levels south of the river to cover the bridge. Ben played a solid game and utilising the 2 captured Russian FT tanks (Pz739) he pushed my screen back rapidly. As he approached the bridge I made ready with my 37Ls and ART. He managed to get a couple of low FP shots at the AA crews causing only an NMC. I rolled a 12. For BOTH of them! Leaving my guns uncrewed and me screwed. His main force of tanks and HTs pushed across the bridge and despite numerous attempts with mortars and MGs I only stopped one. My ART couldn't get rate at all. His dice were pretty good. Mine were pretty dire. He won. I fully expected to stall them at the bridge with the guns and then as they came across my troops would drop down for some Street Fighting. Unfortunately as he piled across the bridge they were all stood on the roofs watching them drive past! Good fun, though.

Saturday was a slow day. Shaun had agreed to play a scenario from the new Special Forces pack. We chose...

SF-1 Barce Beat Up. Barce, North Africa, 14 September 1942. The less said about this one the better :OHNO:. My LRDG attacked at Night to destroy aircraft and fuel tankers defended by a low grade Italian force. I moved into position on Turn 1 just outside NVR with my jeeps/trucks ready to launch an attack next turn. He rolled for WC and the NVR went up one. Suddenly he could see all my force! Starshells went up and all hell broke loose. I forced my way in to the airfield on one flank and tried the push round a small village on the other to get at the fuel trucks but it all went wrong. When I finally shot up my first aircraft it burned, totally screwing up my night vision as I couldn't see any of the others to shoot at. I faced the ignominy of having my trucks picked off in CC one by one by bloody Italian conscripts! It was not a nice sight. Despite that it was great fun to play and if I do so again I now have a much better plan of attack. Honest!

I was supposed to play Pete Phillips next at SP131 Pocket Panzers. We set the game up and he went off to watch another jammy Man United game as they pulled a draw out against Middlesborough. He was later back than planned and we never really had chance to start and as he was going out again later so we scrubbed the game. As I looked again at my plan of attack I'm sure I would have beaten him!

So Saturday evening was spent drinking and talking. And drinking. Mostly with the Aberdeen crew who provided some very nice whiskey. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the atmosphere and banter at Heroes is always good.

And so dawned Sunday morning. After a hearty (but definitely not good for the heart!) breakfast I yet again faced Shaun Carter in a Kohima playtest of...

FYTG6 Jeep Jeep. Tuphema, India. 30 March 1944. This time I took the Punjabi defenders as they try to withdraw under fire taking a 81mm mortar and as much transport with them as the Japanese close in rapidly. I opted for loading as much as possible on the trucks at start and just legging it!. My covering force was pushed back and the Japanese had good LOSs to my trucks and jeeps as they started their engines. Nearby infantry tried to throw smoke to cover them but to no avail. As they pulled away he laid down FLs so that some jeeps were facing 4-6 attacks as they withdrew. He only stopped one and the remainder shot down the road out of LOS and danger. Combined with the small covering force from my left flank who just ran as well this gave me enough VP to win. And this was only turn 1!. Apparently most other playings had seen a steady withdrawal and much more fighting. This was the first running away attempt! And it worked. We spent a while going over the scenario and changing it. Shaun then played it against Ben Jones. The new setup precluded running away so easily and it became a much closer game. It'll need a few more playings though.

And so Heroes drew to a close for another year. I really enjoyed the playtesting and it felt good to be providing some input into the design of scenarios and of future ASL products. Kohima is shaping up nicely although is unlikely to appear this year The new HoB products seem excellent. Having used the reverse printed counters it really didn't make any difference. I'll still be up for a replacement set when/if they reprint them though :)

So, thanks again to Pete and Dominic for organising it and to the staff at the Hotel Skye for shortening my life and clogging up my arteries with their hearty breakfasts and bar meals!

See you all next year!

Andy

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good AAR Andy. Great to see you there. Hopefully you'll make it again next year. I'm looking forward to the Kohima pack that's two years running I've seen what's going on but not yet played any.