Hero created from broken unit

buser333

Reaction score
So I'm reading A15.21 and I think I discovered a rule I've probably played wrong before. It specifically mentions a leader who becomes heroic rallies, and A15.3 and A15.4 talk about the respective units rallying when these are the results, but nowhere do I see it mentioned that a unit who creates a hero rallies from the HoB roll. Is that correct?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It is possible that the unit that a MMC creates a hero does not rally. It is rare, at least partly because a broken unit has a +1 HoB DRM. The odds are that a broken unit will also battle harden.

JR

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We discussed an offshoot of this at pretty great length the other day. The unit does not automatically rally on snakes, he rallies normally applying all the modifiers for DM, rally terrain and leadership. If he does in fact rally (a 7 morale squad DM and in rally terrain with a 0 drm leader needs a 4 to rally so he rallies on snakes), the +1 for being broken still applies to the HOB DR.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Keeping in mind that (per A15.3) a unit that Battle Hardens is automatically rallied, even if the DRM would otherwise make that impossible. So under the right conditions (e.g., a broken conscript HS under DM being rallied by a +1 leader) a Rally DR of "2" will not in itself automatically rally the unit. What it does do, however, is guarantee a DR on the HOB table (which has its own set of applicable DRM). As JR intimates above, given that the unit is broken, the +1 DRM for that (regardless of anything else) tends to shift the probability of the result beyond that required to generate a hero. Still, if you roll low enough on the HOB table, you might still generate a hero and nothing else -- but (paradoxically) it's the elite, high-quality guys who will get that result most frequently! Sometimes it's better to be scum ... as long as you're not too scummy.