Here's to the teachers

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A couple of us got together at Atomic Goblin Games in Longmont last night. Eben Johnson (EJ1 here on the Forums) and I started up a game of Black Day in Hatten (recommended), but Marty Snow looked to be the odd man out. Most of us would have just packed up and gone home, but Marty chatted up all the random gamers who came by and eventually got a kid (high school age? Early college? So hard to tell these days) to give it a try.

Within 90 minutes, this kid went from "yeah I think I've heard of ASL" to getting a scenario set up to choosing rout paths to whining about his dice. It was pretty damn remarkable, and I just wanted to give Marty a shout-out for how he managed that experience. I don't think the rulebook ever got trotted out, and I think Marty took a few liberties with some of the finer points, but he presented the game in a way that the newbie could have fun with and maybe come back to.

That's some rare stuff there. I think you could drop Marty and a random Plano box of counters into some barren corner of the world and he'd get up a game in no time. Massive props to him for not only his teaching ability, but the mindset to actually want to engage with newbies and have a good time, without worrying so much about The Standard Way To Learn The Game. Beats the hell out of just packing up and going home.

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's some rare stuff there. I think you could drop Marty and a random Plano box of counters into some barren corner of the world and he'd get up a game in no time. Massive props to him for not only his teaching ability, but the mindset to actually want to engage with newbies and have a good time, without worrying so much about The Standard Way To Learn The Game. Beats the hell out of just packing up and going home.
Our hobby thrives due to the efforts of great ambassadors like Marty. Well done!!