Here come the sales!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only thing I am really after is a sale on the Charlemagne expansion for CK2. Can't find one yet! :mad:

EDIT: One other: Star Point Gemini 2. I never did purchase the game because despite the generally positive opinions from the community, the devs have themselves admitted to not being able to fully implement some core features of the game before they had to go v1.0. With that in mind, I was not willing to pay full price. But if the game gets a deep discount (50% or so, albeit the current 33% is tempting :)), I will jump because I think the game has a bright future. It still seems like the new X series, and the devs have been releasing patches to address some of those missing features (such as being able to target sub-systems).

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
I've just picked up Total War: Rome II - Emperor's Edition and all of its DLC @ 75% off (with the exception of the latest DLC. Just released so no discount) on today's daily deal. That will do me nicely until the Christmas Sales. Picked up The Witcher for £0.99 from the GOG sales the other day. I am a happy bunny. :)

Best wishes,
Steve

Edit: Now all I have to do is find enough time to play my new additions. I already have more games than time to play them. :mad:

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see Starpont Gemini 2 has called my bluff with a 50% off sale. Think I am going to have to jump, especially seeing how the devs just released a new patch.

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
I see Starpont Gemini 2 has called my bluff with a 50% off sale. Think I am going to have to jump, especially seeing how the devs just released a new patch.
If you decide to pick up, I would really like to know what you think of Starpoint Gemini 2 once you have had a chance to play it for a while. I have looked at it myself a couple of times and the reviews are a bit mixed. Some love it - others not so much. But it still interests me.

Best wishes,
Steve

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you decide to pick up, I would really like to know what you think of Starpoint Gemini 2 once you have had a chance to play it for a while. I have looked at it myself a couple of times and the reviews are a bit mixed. Some love it - others not so much. But it still interests me.

Best wishes,
Steve
Hey Steve,

For $17 and change, I took the leap. I've only put three hours in so far - and that is just in the campaign, I haven't tried "freeform" yet - but the game certainly is worth the price I paid. It feels a bit like a "lite" X3TC or Eve in the sense that it is all about you and your ship, but the star system the game takes place in doesn't have as much depth. There are all sorts of randomly generated missions to do (your standard kill this, fedex that, scan the other thing). Also, there are high profile criminals you can hunt, as well as the usual trading. But none of the missions are really deep - they just feel like one off activities to fill the slower times. The campaign is pretty by the numbers, too. The voice acting is mediocre - and some times it isn't there at all! LOL! Guess the budget was tight. :) There does seem to be a nice variety of ships, as well as various weapons and system enhancements you can buy (but I was disappointed to learn that while you can enhance the performance of your engines, power plant, scanner, etc, you cannot replace them with better equipment). Combat seems okay so far, but I am only level three so the combat has been real easy - nothing fancy required yet, like boardings, sub-system targeting etc.

I am still coming to grips with the game itself, so I really can't give more than that. I am interested in learning more about the news items that are constantly being recorded by the game. There are stories about terrorism, new ships being manufactured, issues of war and peace, plagues. I am not sure if it is all window dressing or if it actually has an effect on the game (which would be really cool).

So far, I would again say that the game is worth the 50% off price. I also agree with the general sentiment that the game is poised to become a lot better with an expansion or two under its belt. Right now I am finding it fun, but not full price fun. Definitely a worthy investment with the idea of watching the game become better fleshed out over the next few months.

Gen_Electric said:
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/ Paradox now has it's own store. Pretty good deals, CKII; base game-$8. Even have a CKII t-shirt for you Scott. Something about Charles the Great family tree...they're all dead.
I saw that store the other day. I am a bit confused: doesn't Paradox already own Gamer's Gate? Or did they sell that?

As for the t-shirt, yeah, I saw it. :D Made me laugh. And I was tempted a bit....:)

But still no sale on Charlemagne!!!! :mad:

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Humble Store has the complete CKII bundle, minus Charlemagne; for $40. On a side note I found this interesting preview in PC Gamer about TW:Attila. New systems have been slotted in, the family tree; players will nurture heirs, marry off bachelors and navigate internal intrigue. Shades of CKII! Been kinda ho-hum about the Total War series lately, but this might be a sale pick up one day.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Humble Store has the complete CKII bundle, minus Charlemagne; for $40. On a side note I found this interesting preview in PC Gamer about TW:Attila. New systems have been slotted in, the family tree; players will nurture heirs, marry off bachelors and navigate internal intrigue. Shades of CKII! Been kinda ho-hum about the Total War series lately, but this might be a sale pick up one day.
I haven't tried the "Emperor's Edition" yet, but so far I feel burned by Rome 2. The whole game just feels like an over-ambitious mess to me, and the fact that even after tons of patching I was still finding graphical and gameplay glitches made the whole thing a net negative for me. I am going to give it one more chance with the Emperor's Edition, but if it still fails to impress me, I am done with it.

From what you write about the Attila expansion it does sound like they are going down the CK2 route. But I don't think they will ever catch up to CK2. But I am biased. :D

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, I got tired of waiting for a sale on CK2 Charlemagne. :) I realized I had over $4 worth of credit on Green Man Gaming (as part of that program they have where they give you money for playing games - it seems to slow down after the first few weeks, though :D). So I got Charlemagne for about $10, about 23% off. I can live with that. :D Can't wait to get back to the medieval ages! :thumup:

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Scott,

Thanks for the information on Starpoint Gemini 2.

Enjoy Charlemagne. Paradox are saying early December, I think, for Way of Life and they have an open beta available on the 2.3 patch. Looks like they are going for smooth release or at least smoother than it has been of late.

Best wishes,
Steve

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,

Thanks for the information on Starpoint Gemini 2.
No problem! I have to get back to that game and explore some more.

Enjoy Charlemagne. Paradox are saying early December, I think, for Way of Life and they have an open beta available on the 2.3 patch.
Early December? I wasn't expecting it until early next year! Where did you read that? Awesome!

And I just opted into the new beta. I tried Charlemagne last night and really liked what I saw, but I did spot a few errors with the chronicle and stuff (minor textual stuff), but the thing that was annoying me was how the game was running like a pig when it came to moving between the opening menus. I see the beta patch optimizes the DLC a lot more so it was a must have for me.

Looks like they are going for smooth release or at least smoother than it has been of late.
Yeah, Charlemage was/is buggy. :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And let's not forget Matrix Games, 4 pages of delicious wargames on sale. http://www.matrixgames.com/
It is interesting that prior to this week, my last two game purchases were from Matrix: The last of the DLC for Scourge of War, and Distant Worlds! Matrix/Slitherine has come a long way the last few years. The new 40K game probably is a must-have for me once it gets some patching.

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Early December? I wasn't expecting it until early next year! Where did you read that? Awesome!
Not sure... can't find it now. 9 December is the date rattling around in my brain and that is where I got the "early December" thing from. I might be confusing Crusader Kings II with something else.

I found a quote from Johan saying "before Christmas" though.

Best wishes,
Steve

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is interesting that prior to this week, my last two game purchases were from Matrix: The last of the DLC for Scourge of War, and Distant Worlds! Matrix/Slitherine has come a long way the last few years. The new 40K game probably is a must-have for me once it gets some patching.
I've heard a few other rumblings about that game imho. I have read that it has no documentation concerning the units. Certain units cannot fire at multiple targets (ala Titans), you can only play as the Orks in 2 missions (but I'm sure scenario editing can fix this but it shouldn't have been left up to the community). It also follows the 2nd War for Armageddon which has the least variety of space marine chapters available. The Ultramarines and the Blood Angels which is a bit of a drab but considering the Smurfs are the poster boys for the space marines and Blood Angels are another hugely popular chapter, it's no surprise. Overall, it looks sort of stale but I'm hoping for more improvements to come down the road.

Also, having no demo for the game totally sucks when there was one available for Panzer Corps. I don't know why it's so damned hard to make demos for strategy games. It ain't f*****g rocket science. Just set up a small custom mini-campaign and let people play it.

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
... you can only play as the Orks in 2 missions (but I'm sure scenario editing can fix this but it shouldn't have been left up to the community).
That's in single player. In multiplayer you can play as either IG or Orks. It does seem strange though. It's a IG campaign. Not sure why there wasn't an Ork campaign and that was disappointing for me. It is always possible that it is down to the Games Workshop license. It is my understanding that it was quite restrictive. Whether or not it was that restrictive is another matter.

Best wishes,
Steve

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure... can't find it now. 9 December is the date rattling around in my brain and that is where I got the "early December" thing from. I might be confusing Crusader Kings II with something else.

I found a quote from Johan saying "before Christmas" though.

Best wishes,
Steve
Wow, I didn't hear any of that. Before Christmas is good, too! :) Thank for the info.

Last night I joined the beta and discovered a "focus" button. It wasn't operational, but the tool tip said it was for the Way of Life DLC. Interesting.

My only complaint is that these expansions are now coming so quickly that it is almost impossible to stick with a campaign for long!

Kawaiku said:
Also, having no demo for the game totally sucks when there was one available for Panzer Corps. I don't know why it's so damned hard to make demos for strategy games. It ain't f*****g rocket science. Just set up a small custom mini-campaign and let people play it.
I don't know why, either. Yeah, there are always Let's Plays available, but that isn't as good as a demo. I really don't understand why in this day and age of cloud computing, game devs don't use a service like OnLive or Gaikai to stream a game as a demo.

shunwick said:
That's in single player. In multiplayer you can play as either IG or Orks. It does seem strange though. It's a IG campaign. Not sure why there wasn't an Ork campaign and that was disappointing for me. It is always possible that it is down to the Games Workshop license. It is my understanding that it was quite restrictive. Whether or not it was that restrictive is another matter.
Wow, you can't even play as SMs in MP? I didn't realize that.

Based on everything you guys wrote, this is definitely a game that is best left alone until it has a few expansions under it.