Help with SSR wording

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am helping someone with a scenario design and they are trying to word an SSR to cover the following situation. An Embankment Railroad (EmRR at level 0.5) leads to a bridge. We want the bridge to exist normally at level 0. How would you write a SSR to state that clearly?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Let's try...
"The RR on the Bridge and north of it is a GLRR (B32.1)"

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
Let's try...
"The RR on the Bridge and north of it is a GLRR (B32.1)"
That's the answer I was looking for. Anyone have any problem with it? After the scenario is published is Joe Asler going to to ask some question about the elevation change?

Mike Owens

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
That's the answer I was looking for. Anyone have any problem with it? After the scenario is published is Joe Asler going to to ask some question about the elevation change?
Yes he will; I sure did.

B6.2 says that non-pontoon bridges are always at the same level as the road they connect to. However, in the image, one end of the bridge is at Level 0 (no problem there, given what you are looking for) but the other end is at level 0.5.

Where along the bridge does the "tilt" occur?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Mike Owens said:
B6.2 says that non-pontoon bridges are always at the same level as the road they connect to. However, in the image, one end of the bridge is at Level 0 (no problem there, given what you are looking for) but the other end is at level 0.5.
One could decide the RR goes GL in the hex south of the bridge...
But note that B6.2 was written about 13 years before RR rules were made and it just marks the difference between pontoon and non-pontoon bridges.
If B6.2 is a problem, just add "(exception to B6.2 for level change question)."

Mike Owens

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
One could decide the RR goes GL in the hex south of the bridge...
But note that B6.2 was written about 13 years before RR rules were made and it just marks the difference between pontoon and non-pontoon bridges.
If B6.2 is a problem, just add "(exception to B6.2 for level change question)."
There has to be an elevation change between Level 0 and level 0.5 somewhere. On the bridge, between the bridge and the EmRR, or between the road and the bridge. Where that elevation change occurs should be defined.

I forgot to ask the obvious question earlier: why isn't there a RR coming out the other end of the bridge?

Why not make the other end of the bridge exit onto an EmRR, making the railroads and bridge all Level 0.5, keeping it consistent and, more importantly, simple?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike Owens said:
Why not make the other end of the bridge exit onto an EmRR, making the railroads and bridge all Level 0.5, keeping it consistent and, more importantly, simple?
Because:
1) the railroad was not elevated on the other side of the river
2) the railroad enters into a tunnel in the next two hexes.

As for a simple bridge at level 0.5, I don't know of any bridge that has ever been that way in ASL and I am not sure how to define it or playtest it (does the fire go under the bridge, etc.).

Mike Owens

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
Because:
As for a simple bridge at level 0.5, I don't know of any bridge that has ever been that way in ASL and I am not sure how to define it or playtest it (does the fire go under the bridge, etc.).
I'm not aware of any at level 0.5 either, but it's covered in B6.2: "a non-pontoon bridge does Hinder any LOS drawn through it between units which are at the same level as the Bridge or units only one of which is below the level of the Bridge..." So units at level 0 firing at each other would not be Hindered by the bridge if the bridge was at level 0.5.

If you really wanted to leave the elevation change, you could say, "SSR x: The bridge in I9 - I5 exists at Level 0. Elevation change MF/MP costs are paid when crossing the I5/I4 hexside".