Help - Rise of Nations - Strategic advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm in a bit of a pickle with my latest RoN game. Here is a screenshot of the current strategic position:

As you can see, I have nuked, bombed, shot and slaughtered my way across the map to defeat my last remaining enemy - Germany. The town of Magdeburg is the only remaining pocket of resistance left to oppose my iron will. I have the entire "nation" surrounded by guard towers. I just don't know what to do next - I mean, they could rise up against me at any moment. It's a stalemate - help!

:D :thumb:

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sense of humour? I dunno what you mean Terry - this is a serious predicament I'm in. If those buggers create one single citizen and get him to escape, manage to destroy those guard towers, get past the four Fortresses that are sat near the border, then defeat the two massive armour groups I have hidden around the corner, not to mention the two squadrons of fighters and bombers I have on immediate call, and then somehow sabotage the nuclear missiles that are ready to launch at a moment's notice, it would be a disaster.

It's dangerous to be over-confident.

This could be the turning point of the war!

Dr. S.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dr. S, I feel for you. You never know if that last citizen is the (dare I even say it) super secret agent who in the last 15 minutes of your life completely rebounds from a position of utter futility to win the day for the forces of good...er...evil...er... the other side.;)

Minotaur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps they're digging tunnels as we speak... Have you though of that? :rolleyes:

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just think of that city as France and drop a couple dozen nukes on it. Make sure your boys are wearing hazard suits when they go it to mop up, or even better, send in the giant killer robots! :banana:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for all the advice so far:

1) Can't Nuke any more. The Armageddon Counter is really low.

2) Tunnels eh? Hmmmm...I knew I should have selected an island map to play on. Then I could have had a massive Navy too!

3) Alice tried to play once but covered my keyboard in Jam - so we aren't going down that route again.

5) What happened to 4?

6) Haven't got any Giant Killer Robots - but good thinking that man. You can be in charge of the Cybernetics Division.

7) The Secret Agent idea really scares me for some reason - I wonder why? I need to end this - now!

8) Time to send in the troops for a bit of a "peacekeeping" mission. No enemy - no war, so there will inevitably be peace!

Dr. S.

PvtManaCoB3MD

Reaction score
Country
ll
Your opponent is the Germans....did you set it to pre-WW2 Germans? if so, they'll come back to bite you in the rear....if they're modern Germans.....they'll ally with France and surrender immediately! :laugh:

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
I'm in a bit of a pickle with my latest RoN game. Here is a screenshot of the current strategic position:

As you can see, I have nuked, bombed, shot and slaughtered my way across the map to defeat my last remaining enemy - Germany. The town of Magdeburg is the only remaining pocket of resistance left to oppose my iron will. I have the entire "nation" surrounded by guard towers. I just don't know what to do next - I mean, they could rise up against me at any moment. It's a stalemate - help!

Can't you unleash some sort of massive attack? Are the towers only defensive? Do you have some sort of strategic reserve?
:D :thumb:

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
Your opponent is the Germans....did you set it to pre-WW2 Germans? if so, they'll come back to bite you in the rear....if they're modern Germans.....they'll ally with France and surrender immediately! :laugh:
France is dead and gone - it was the first nation I took out. I sent Stealth Bombers up against their mounted archers and dropped nukes on medieval Paris. Ahhhh...the satisfaction.

The Germans had the audacity to attack me whilst I was doing this, so once I had repelled their attack I punished them by sending in the 1st Armoured Division to wipe out their farming communities and generally blockade Berlin with constant air patrols over their lands to prevent any uprising.

To Hogdriver - shortly after this screenshot was taken, 1st Armoured and 2nd Infantry supported by the 6th Air Force were dispatched to bring the game to an end. Took about two seconds.

Dr. S.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 seconds? Why so long? Flight time for the air force? Or have you resurrected Goering and placed in charge of your air force? (and we nothing to fear;) )

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by chrisvalla
2 seconds? Why so long? Flight time for the air force? Or have you resurrected Goering and placed in charge of your air force? (and we nothing to fear;) )
No, rather embarassingly 1st Armoured had trouble getting through the gaps in between the towers!!

Dr. S.

PvtManaCoB3MD

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thrones and Patriots is now out in the US! I immediately went to get it and it's definately worth it! It's 24.99 US at Best Buy. Unfortunately, I don't know when it comes out elsewhere.

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thrones and Patriots is now out in the US! I immediately went to get it and it's definately worth it! It's 24.99 US at Best Buy. Unfortunately, I don't know when it comes out elsewhere.

I saw several copies at my local Wal-Mart yesterday. How good is the game? I haven't been able to play it because my computers aren't powerful enough.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Woo-Hoo!

Went to a game shop at lunchtime actually, didn't see it there. :(

But even so - Woo-Hoo!

Dr. S.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The expansion just came out yesterday... I am so on my way to get it this weekend...:banana: of course it will have to wait until my Ferengi rule the galaxy in my current BOTF game... I love one of their tactical combat quips "Victory... our new strategy for winning!":laugh: