help needed to write a SSR a little bizzarre

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
general situation in the first hours after the airdrop:

paratroopers must first find their leaders (waiting in board 70), regroup and then exit the boards pointing their objective and avoiding any contact with enemy as long as possible . But the paratroopers just (badly) dropped are basically unaware of the area where they are, so their offboard setup cannot be the most advantageous possible.
example.PNG

hence this SSR

SSR3. After the American Setup is complete the German Player may freely exchange position and/or orientation of boards 62 and/or 17 provided all three are butted lenghtwise with board 70 laying in the middle with its number pointing to North.

Well, I'm here to ask if the wording is decent or at least is intelligible (assuming the reader sees the board configuration printed in the card ).

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Enrico. How about this? Following American initial setup, the German player may reverse the orientation of either/both boards 62 and 17, so that the numbered side of the board faces south, rather than north. Board 70 remains untouched, with the numbered side of the board facing to the north.

Any help?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Following American initial setup, the German player may reverse the orientation of either/both boards 62 and 17, so that the numbered side of the board faces south, rather than north. Board 70 remains untouched, with the numbered side of the board facing to the north.
I like this one better, no offense Enrico.

Nice concept for an SSR. Do the American's set up 1st?

Reactions: ecz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I like this one better, no offense Enrico.

Nice concept for an SSR. Do the American's set up 1st?
yes, the American setup and moves first, in part in board 70, in part offboard. The Germans enter from offboard.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Hi Enrico. How about this? Following American initial setup, the German player may reverse the orientation of either/both boards 62 and 17, so that the numbered side of the board faces south, rather than north. Board 70 remains untouched, with the numbered side of the board facing to the north.

Any help?
and does this better wording imply also that board 62 and 17 could be swithced each other? ( i.e. from top to bottom: boards 17-70-72)

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
"Following American initial setup, the German player may reverse the orientation and/or switch the position of either/both boards 62 and 17, so that the numbered side of the board faces south, rather than north. Board 70 remains untouched, with the numbered side of the board facing to the North".

how about this wording?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't get that this was possible too, but the rewording of the rewording, looks good, yes. :)

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I didn't get that this was possible too (...) :)
the reason because I needed help!
now it should be clear that board 60 does not move and lays in the middle, while the other two can be placed by the German player in any way.
Thank you guys!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the reason because I needed help!
now it should be clear that board 60 does not move and lays in the middle, while the other two can be placed by the German player in any way.
Thank you guys!
You mean 70 :p

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have you considered perhaps adding a pool of overlays that the German player can place after USA set up?

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Have you considered perhaps adding a pool of overlays that the German player can place after USA set up?
yes, and also I considered to leave enterely to the German the choice of the two boards to put aside board 70 between a given pool of 3-5 all suitable.
I discarded these creative ideas because they add too complexity to the setup. They implies the players must add also X boards/overlays to the required stuff to play this scenario. Besides many players dislike the overlays as concept and try to avoid scenarios using them. Last but not least do not forget the only purpose of the said SSR is to avoid any easily recognizable "perfect" setup for the American (impossible in the reality for the reasons outlined above) and this objective is fully achieved with the switch of the boards or their new orientation decided by the German.

Having this in mind the SSR, written as re-worded above, makes its job.

No player using a perfect offboard setup can optimize the move to reach the leaders in board 70 before the game begins .

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
IIRC, there is one old scenario where the Germans get to set up a one-hex marsh overlay hidden, and it is not revealed until a Russian tank moves adjacent (and thus might Bog).