Help Downloading VASL

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried to download VASL today. I get the scary message that my AV has blocked the download because it might damage my computer (New Dell Intel i7). Is damage to my computer possible, or is my AV just being paranoid?

Thanks,

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I tried to download VASL today. I get the scary message that my AV has blocked the download because it might damage my computer (New Dell Intel i7). Is damage to my computer possible, or is my AV just being paranoid?

Thanks,
There is compiled code in the zip files for both VASSAL and VASL, but your AV is just doing its job and being paranoid.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. I've also discovered that I'll need Java in order to download the VASSAL Engine. But the Edge Browser with Windows 10 won't accept Java. So I'll have to download another Browser. Yikes! So much for not wanting to clutter up my shiny new Christmas present. 😢

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. I've also discovered that I'll need Java in order to download the VASSAL Engine. But the Edge Browser with Windows 10 won't accept Java. So I'll have to download another Browser. Yikes! So much for not wanting to clutter up my shiny new Christmas present. 😢
Java is built into the VASL 3.4.x installers.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm..... I watched a you tube video that says you had to download Java before downloading the Vassal engine. You mean I can't believe everything I see on the internet ? :oops:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hmmm..... I watched a you tube video that says you had to download Java before downloading the Vassal engine. You mean I can't believe everything I see on the internet ? :oops:
The Youtube video probably relates to older versions of VASSAL. There has been a lot of ongoing development of VASSAL in the past few months.

As said before by 'zgrose', with VASSAL v3.4.x (with v3.4.12 being the most current VASSAL version and a VASSAL v3.5 beta version already available for testing as of 9. January 2021), you no not need an extra JAVA installation as JAVA is an inherent part of the VASSAL package. That said, if new VASSAL versions are released, these might include updates of the inbuilt JAVA versions as well.

Bottom line:
With VASSAL v3.4.x, you do not need to install any independent JAVA versions.
Running VASSAL v3.4.x, the current VASL version to go with it is VASL v6.6.1 (as of 9. January 2021).

If you use older VASL versions (up to VASL v6.5.1), then you need an older VASSAL version (VASSAL v3.2.17).
For VASSAL v3.2.17, you DO need an independent JAVA installation - and an old and outdated one at that.
I think the JAVA version required by VASSAL v3.2.17 is JAVA 8 (!). I think the latest version available of the outdated JAVA 8 is 'built 221'. Note, though, that the current JAVA version is 15!

Bottom line:
Do yourself a favor and forget about VASSAL v3.2.17 and VASL v6.5.1 and use the current versions of both which will also save you the fuss of finding/using much outdated JAVA versions.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the detailed and very helpful reply. I plan to download/install the latest version as you advise. Then I'm sure I'll discover more questions about installing and working with the correct module. Let the learning curve begin!

Again, thanks a bunch!

Jack