Hello All!

RustyInRT

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Taking the plunge into ASL by purchasing SK's 1-3. Avalon Hill's Squad Leader was the second wargame I purchased with my hard-earned mowing money back in 1979 after The Rise & Decline of the Third Reich (which turned out to be waaaay over my head). It didn't matter, because I couldn't find anyone to play with and I had to resort to playing out the first couple of scenarios solo. But I never lost my affection for the idea and system.

Now that I have retired and living in the Fort Collins area of Colorado, I have decided to rekindle my unrequited love of hex and counter wargames by wooing the uncontested queen of said games and look forward to learning from fellow enthusiasts with far more experience with her than I.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here !
I hope that you will find resources to help you work your way into that wonderful system!
I would recommend finding an experienced player to learn the game - many are willing to help.
If you cannot find a face-to-face one, VASSAL is a very satisfying way to play ASL online : with a vocal device (Skype, Zoom, Discord), the experience is excellent.
And VASSAL is free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Front Range ASL'ers have already reached out their claw-like appendages to snare this new recruit into our arcane fold. Mu-ha-ha-haa...

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Where in Fort Collins? I lived there for many years but retired to Wyoming 3 (?) years ago. I will be making it down more often now that the COVID is subsiding.....
The Front Range ASL'ers have already reached out their claw-like appendages to snare this new recruit into our arcane fold. Mu-ha-ha-haa...
Are you dragging him to RMR next weekend?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
RMR is THIS weekend, Homie. And "dragging him" has such unfortunate overtones. Let's just say me and the boys are going to give him the opportunity to broaden his horizons.
Now I feel bad.....see you there. Somebody has to make sure his horizons are correctly broadened.

RustyInRT

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where in Fort Collins? I lived there for many years but retired to Wyoming 3 (?) years ago. I will be making it down more often now that the COVID is subsiding.....

Are you dragging him to RMR next weekend?
I actually live in Timnath, just east of I25 from FtC, in the Harmony (Golf Club) subdivision.

I have heard tell of an ASL tourney this weekend but RMR?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Taking the plunge into ASL by purchasing SK's 1-3. Avalon Hill's Squad Leader was the second wargame I purchased with my hard-earned mowing money back in 1979 after The Rise & Decline of the Third Reich (which turned out to be waaaay over my head). It didn't matter, because I couldn't find anyone to play with and I had to resort to playing out the first couple of scenarios solo. But I never lost my affection for the idea and system.

Now that I have retired and living in the Fort Collins area of Colorado, I have decided to rekindle my unrequited love of hex and counter wargames by wooing the uncontested queen of said games and look forward to learning from fellow enthusiasts with far more experience with her than I.
Ya got me with the Spaaace Ghooost avatar.

RustyInRT

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lol. Thanks. I found myself in need of a new avatar recently and after a little thought, it came down to Space Ghost, Race Bannon from Jonny Quest, or Racer X from Speed Racer. I was on a Traveller RPG forum at the time so Space Ghost it is.