Hello, a SL/ASL/SK newbie here

jbulloug

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Hello from a newbie to SL/ASL/SK who comes from upstate NY. I'm new to wargaming in general, having moved from D&D with my son to Chainmail, eventually picking up Tactics II at the start of the pandemic since it seemed like it would be fun to play with my 13 year old son. Shortly after I got an SL game on Ebay and we've been playing that a lot, I'm sure with a lot of rules mistakes. I am enthralled by this family of games and have gotten a couple of Starter Kits before realizing that SL and ASL are not exactly the same. Since then I also ordered a "pocket" edition rulebook for fun reading on the beach. Not sure how deeply I will ever get into the details of all of these rules but I enjoy reading them and about this family of games. Recently discovered the Retro variant rules and have found them to be a godsend. Now we can start and finish a scenario in an hour or so without constantly looking up rules, and it still "feels" like Squad Leader to me. I understand this may be anathema to many ASL players, but the beauty of this system is that is so flexible, and (in my opinion) a joy to look at with the geomorphic maps and cool counter art, all with a very old school feel.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hello from a newbie to SL/ASL/SK who comes from upstate NY. I'm new to wargaming in general, having moved from D&D with my son to Chainmail, eventually picking up Tactics II at the start of the pandemic since it seemed like it would be fun to play with my 13 year old son. Shortly after I got an SL game on Ebay and we've been playing that a lot, I'm sure with a lot of rules mistakes. I am enthralled by this family of games and have gotten a couple of Starter Kits before realizing that SL and ASL are not exactly the same. Since then I also ordered a "pocket" edition rulebook for fun reading on the beach. Not sure how deeply I will ever get into the details of all of these rules but I enjoy reading them and about this family of games. Recently discovered the Retro variant rules and have found them to be a godsend. Now we can start and finish a scenario in an hour or so without constantly looking up rules, and it still "feels" like Squad Leader to me. I understand this may be anathema to many ASL players, but the beauty of this system is that is so flexible, and (in my opinion) a joy to look at with the geomorphic maps and cool counter art, all with a very old school feel.
I think you will find most people here are just glad to welcome new blood to the system no matter what/how you are playing it. Well done getting your son involved!

This is the place to come for any questions you have on the rules. Mainly ASL but lots of people here started with SL.
Good luck and roll low!