Helicopter Landing Zones

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Helicopter Landing Zone Placement.

How many of you scenario designers out there use these? I can see where they would come into play more with military users, using maps of bases with established LZ’s.

Since LZ’s are not identified to opposing players until a clear line of sight is established, how would you describe the terrain to the opposing commander that there are possible LZ in the woods, and towns, on the map?

I suppose that quietly indicating to the opposing commander the map terrain in his AO lends itself to possible LZ’s – numerous open fields within the woods big enough to accommodate helicopter LZ operations.

Thoughts?

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another caveat is that an opposing commander who has been in the AO for a while should have already surveyed most if not all fields capable of helicopter insert and judge which ones are most threatening, thereby positioning close by either a quick reaction force, some type of AAA like a Zu-23, or MANPAD.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two Uses

The map you want to use needs an LZ in a unallowed terrain and placing LZ's is less labor intestive than doing a custom map.

Placing an LZ in an area where an A/C normally could land anyway can still make for a more logical set up. If your scenario includes a high value target, logistic point, or major HQ you might expect to see an LZ co-located with it. Helps paint the picture.

Personally I use them mostly for flavor.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This just mainly came up in my recent solitaire found in the AAR section. Thought of inserting snipers to possibly target the ATGM teams.

Since it was solitaire, and also could occur in a 2 person game, how to enlighten the OPFOR that there are LZ capable fields within the AO without having him garrison each and everyone, thus defeating the purpose.

Last edited: