Height Advantage v Placed DC

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is Height Advantage TEM applicable to a placed DC? I think so but it seems odd.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is a DC attack a form of "direct fire"? I doubt it.
Direct Fire: "Any fire attack requiring a LOS from the firer which does not use Indirect Fire" [Index]. Per the last sentence of A23.3, a unit needs a LOS to place a DC. I don't think it uses Indirect Fire. Does it meet all the criteria? Maybe. A thrown DC would seem to be Direct Fire, so just being a DC doesn't seem to be enough to disqualify (but a DC can't be thrown up a full level, and the question never arises about HA).

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I'm thinking no as the Placed DC itself does not attack "from a lower elevation" - even though it might be placed from such.

Although this old Q&A says it can apply vs the Thrower's Location if the DC is Thrown down across a Crest Line.

A23.6 Is there any restriction on the number of levels up which a DC may be thrown to an adjacent Location? Also, can Height Advantage apply to thrown DC, for either party?
A. One level. Yes, if the DC is thrown across a Crest Line to a lower level and the thrower is claiming no other TEM. [Letter8]
8) Kiri Naiman to Avalon Hill, 1990-1993

Although the first question/answer seems in correct as A23.6 prohibits throwing a DC up one full level.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm thinking no as the Placed DC itself does not attack "from a lower elevation" - even though it might be placed from such.

Although this old Q&A says it can apply vs the Thrower's Location if the DC is Thrown down across a Crest Line.

A23.6 Is there any restriction on the number of levels up which a DC may be thrown to an adjacent Location? Also, can Height Advantage apply to thrown DC, for either party?
A. One level. Yes, if the DC is thrown across a Crest Line to a lower level and the thrower is claiming no other TEM. [Letter8]
8) Kiri Naiman to Avalon Hill, 1990-1993

Although the first question/answer seems in correct as A23.6 prohibits throwing a DC up one full level.
I don't see how throwing a DC *to* a *lower* elevation could ever apply height advantage. I think that answer is a mistake. It's a question that I would never even think to ask for a Q&A, and if I did ask it, I would expect the answer to come back, 'no.' As you say the rules prohibit throwing a DC to an elevation > one full level higher. You can throw a DC onto a hillock or across a slope hexside, but not up a building or crest line.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Could the same logic be applied for a DC placed in a factory from the outside, i.e. that it has only a +1 TEM because while it was placed from outside, it does not attack through the exterior of the building? There is a Q&A on the matter that says that even though the DC attacks from within, how it was placed does matter. It would be inconsistent not to apply the same reasoning to height advantage.

Q&A said:
A23.1 & B23.741 What TEM is used to resolve a placed DC in a factory hex 1) when the DC was placed by a unit within the factory? 2) when the DC was placed by a unit outside the factory?
A. Use the TEM that would be used if it were a fire attack.
JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't see how throwing a DC *to* a *lower* elevation could ever apply height advantage. I think that answer is a mistake.
Since the question was "Also, can Height Advantage apply to thrown DC, for either party?" - I assumed the answer only applies to "vs the Thrower's Location" - which would be higher.
But I agree the way the Q&A is worded, it does leave one with some doubt. It is a rather old Q&A though.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Since the question was "Also, can Height Advantage apply to thrown DC, for either party?" - I assumed the answer only applies to "vs the Thrower's Location" - which would be higher.
But I agree the way the Q&A is worded, it does leave one with some doubt. It is a rather old Q&A though.
Ah, yes I forgot about the thrower. I could see height advantage applying for the thrower. I was thinking about the target, not the thrower.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Could the same logic be applied for a DC placed in a factory from the outside, i.e. that it has only a +1 TEM because while it was placed from outside, it does not attack through the exterior of the building? There is a Q&A on the matter that says that even though the DC attacks from within, how it was placed does matter. It would be inconsistent not to apply the same reasoning to height advantage.
I see the factory case as the DC is placed up against the outer wall - but I am not placing the DC half-way up the Crest Line. But I think this one probably needs to go to MMP for a Q&A - perhaps it will be ruled as if HA does indeed apply - I can see it going either way.