Hearts of Iron 2

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yah I know - to be honest, HoI never really did it for me the way Vicky and Crusader Kings have <shrug>.

then I never really played anything but minors, as majors seemed too easy/hard depending, and Australia needed much guidance :D

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grand Strategy fans rejoice - Paradox Interactive has just released the highly anticipated 1.2 enhancement for Hearts of Iron II!! Players will find:

* A completely new campaign, starting in 1938, just before the Munich Agreement.
* A brand new battle scenario: Case Blue, depicting the German spring offensive of 1942 into the Soviet Union.
* A substantially enhanced AI in all aspects of the game.
* A large number of new ministers, leaders and tech teams added.
* An improved interface, with more tool tips & information added.

Please visit http://www.paradoxplaza.com/Downloads.asp for more information.

Want to get exclusive first hand news from Paradox before anyone else? Then don't miss signing up for the brand new Paradox Newsletter, your no 1 source of information behind the scenes. Sign up here: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/newsletter.asp

~ Strategy is our game ~

Reckall

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Jim H. Moreno said:
Grand Strategy fans rejoice - Paradox Interactive has just released the highly anticipated 1.2 enhancement for Hearts of Iron II!!
Downloading it now. I really liked my first game at HOI 2 with Italy (a very good country to start in 1936: it is not a superpower and you can try a lot of different paths to war). What I didn't liked much was how the game design forces some historical limits on you (if you decide to develop the naval forces I think that over a decade you country would improve in the overall capability to research naval technologies), but I was waiting for this patch, since Paradox promised that they would have included a lot of from the community's feedback. Tonight I think I'll finally fire up a game with Japan :)

Jim Cobb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, for the 36-hour day. I can only get to the expansion after I finish France '40.

freightshaker

Reaction score
Reckall said:
Downloading it now. I really liked my first game at HOI 2 with Italy (a very good country to start in 1936: it is not a superpower and you can try a lot of different paths to war). What I didn't liked much was how the game design forces some historical limits on you (if you decide to develop the naval forces I think that over a decade you country would improve in the overall capability to research naval technologies), but I was waiting for this patch, since Paradox promised that they would have included a lot of from the community's feedback. Tonight I think I'll finally fire up a game with Japan :)
The game coding is open source so you can change practically anything you want. I got tired of my leaders dying "on the battlefield" even when I was at peace so I changed the death dates. There are lots of sites that can help you with modding the game.

http://hoi2.nsen.ch/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.buegesoft.net/HoI2/

The Wiki site has some excellent reference material for scenario creation also.

J. Dhatori

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
freightshaker said:
Forgot about that. You posted a thread awhile back about modern maintainance procedures didn't you? How's it coming?
Yes, that was me. :)

We'll have alpha ready by summer. We have map ready, tech teams and ministers for several nations, tech trees almost ready, units decided and a handfull of graphics (endscreens and the unit "panels") and a general plot drawn up.

You can see our progress here.

Top Alchemist

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HoI 2 isn't much more playable than HoI, although it isn't as buggy in general. As USA, you have virtually unlimited unit creation to do. Fighting in the Pacific is a problem because the code won't let you invade Japanese held islands, even though you are at war. Will continually insist the transports are out of range even if based as nearby as possible. This is again, like HoI was initially, a game with immense promise that has some very good features and loving detail that unfortunately just doesn't play that well as a game.

freightshaker

Reaction score
Top Alchemist said:
HoI 2 isn't much more playable than HoI, although it isn't as buggy in general. As USA, you have virtually unlimited unit creation to do. Fighting in the Pacific is a problem because the code won't let you invade Japanese held islands, even though you are at war. Will continually insist the transports are out of range even if based as nearby as possible. This is again, like HoI was initially, a game with immense promise that has some very good features and loving detail that unfortunately just doesn't play that well as a game.
I don't have many complaints about HOI2 and am still playing it. Never island hopped as the US but as the Germans vs the US I had no problem invading the Phillipines.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, I have no problems with the game itself up until now, but I think that the German version is not so good, I mean nazi past and all but the leader of Germany from 1933 to 1945 was Adolf Hitler and not Adolph Hiller, and Göring wasn't Gorink.... (add a couple of other evil names here)