Hearts of Iron 2

Jim Cobb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a heads up that that I'll be posting here on a beta copy of HoI2/ My posts will NOT be a substiture for the preview someone else is doing for the Armchair General site.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Jim, I actually finally played that damn abomination eh.

Now I can honestly say it sucks :)

But I am sort of curious (in a warped sort of way) how they plan to make HoI2 unique enough to make anyone go for it.

What exactly is the "2" going to give anyone?

Jim Cobb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now, I'll warn you" I liked the original. I'm a "half-glass full" guy. The bugs were irritating but the possiblties enthralled me.

freightshaker

Reaction score
Aries said:
Hey Jim, I actually finally played that damn abomination eh.

Now I can honestly say it sucks :)

But I am sort of curious (in a warped sort of way) how they plan to make HoI2 unique enough to make anyone go for it.

What exactly is the "2" going to give anyone?
Try playing it with the CORE mods. Much more challenging as the Germans.

http://hoi.coremod.org/index2.htm

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Hi Jim. I played around with the original just a little bit. It didn't take me long to figure out that the game had some depth to it and would require a little bit of effort to learn. I just didn't have the time right then so I never really got into it. To be honest, I would have been more inclined to play if they had released a modern version.

freightshaker

Reaction score
I guess what really appeals to me about the game is that I don't have to follow a historical timeline. Kind of fun invading Italy as the Germans and making alliances with ahistorical countries. A modern version would be alot of fun. The cold war period could be interesting also with the addition of spies.

JeremyScott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought the game when it first came out a couple of yrs ago. Agreed it had a lot of potential but at the time the bugs over ruled the enjoyment factor. Hope Number 2 does better in fixing the mods.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've reviewed Platinum for ACG. The game is patched to 1.06C now and alot of the bugs have been eliminated. but since HOI2 is just around the corner, I wouldn't bother with buying Platinum and wait a bit.

Jim Cobb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, save $20 and d/l 1.06c and the CORE mod. That and a better manual is all the Platinum is.

Panzer-War

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its nice to see the map will be better detailed i.e. North America. I hope though they will still have the quite large tech tree like hoi (probly my favorite feature of hoi). What about the economy and military units? Will it still be the generic units, and will there be money this time around. Be nice if you could buy tech, weapons from allies. Yes I did like hoi and stuck through the 1st patch on till I found the core mod. Did any one ever do a mod for a modern version I remember there being talk of one.

Jim Cobb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just ran through the to torials. Tech, production and diplomacy much different, graphics more polished, combat simpler. Very large manual.