Hear is a video I made about how I organize my ASL stuff

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
For sure, good organization of ASL kit does make a lot of a difference.

I believe that hardly anyone sticking with the game will do so without changing their storage solution for counters at least once.
Probably, many would have been happy (at least with hindsight), if they had done it right from the beginning.

The challenge in doing so lies in this:
  • Usually, it takes a lot of time to accumulate a 'full kit' (things are OoP, expensive to finance, etc.) and you have to store what you have before being 'complete'
  • Although the ASL system is more or less complete for WW2, sometimes new counters are published. It is difficult to subsequently integrate these in an existing storage system. The more 'optimized' your system is, the less flexible it might become with regard to later additions.
  • The stuff you store your kit in, can be expensive in itself (RAACO - fine but expensive...)
  • Thinking up an planning / labelling a good storage system is much more difficult than one would believe...
  • Realizing the plan is very time consuming again.
My (RAACO) approach can be found in the download-section of the Texas ASL club - actually is its a lengthy article about what to think of when designing a storage system in general and for RAACO in particular.

Creating the labels is a s***load of work (less though, than affixing them and MUCH less than deciding which counters go where). Here is an Excel-Spreadsheet for RAACO storage designed for a complete MMP/AH (double) core module kit. It can be used as a base for own adapted labels:

This does not include Korea and the new counters (Eritreans/Aetiopians) from the latest 'Hollow Legions' release. I have to bring myself to expand the system...
It also does not include (most) HASLs as I find that special formation counters are more a burden than a blessing for the 'general kit' and thus should better be kept separate.

The general appearance is about like this:

The non-counter storage stuff is comparably easy:

• geoboards go into folders in protective sheets (25 boards per folder)
  • HASLs & CGs remain complete in their original boxes
  • any scenario which is scanned goes into folders in protective sheets in strictly alphabetical order (regardless of publisher)
  • original scenarios remain in their original boxes or are concentraed in boxes per publisher
Without the RAACO counter storage, this takes up roughly a tightly packed 6" by 4" bookshelf.

von Marwitz

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
Oh Wow!

Thanks for sharing those

I believe that hardly anyone sticking with the game will do so without changing their storage solution for counters at least once.
Probably, many would have been happy (at least with hindsight), if they had done it right from the beginning.

• Usually, it takes a lot of time to accumulate a 'full kit' (things are OoP, expensive to finance, etc.) and you have to store what you have before being 'complete'
  • Although the ASL system is more or less complete for WW2, sometimes new counters are published. It is difficult to subsequently integrate these in an existing storage system. The more 'optimized' your system is, the less flexible it might become with regard to later additions.
  • The stuff you store your kit in, can be expensive in itself (RAACO - fine but expensive...)
  • Thinking up an planning / labelling a good storage system is much more difficult than one would believe...
My (RAACO) approach can be found in the download-section of the Texas ASL club - actually is its a lengthy article about what to think of when designing a storage system in general and for RAACO in particular.

Creating the labels is a s***load of work (less though, than affixing them and MUCH less than deciding which counters go where). Here is an Excel-Spreadsheet for RAACO storage designed for a complete MMP/AH (double) core module kit. It can be used as a base for own adapted labels:

This does not include Korea and the new counters (Eritreans/Aetiopians) from the latest 'Hollow Legions' release. I have to bring myself to expand the system...
It also does not include (most) HASLs as I find that special formation counters are more a burden than a blessing for the 'general kit' and thus should better be kept separate.

View attachment 22556

View attachment 22559

View attachment 22558

• any scenario which is scanned goes into folders in protective sheets in strictly alphabetical order (regardless of publisher)
  • original scenarios remain in their original boxes or are concentraed in boxes per publisher
Without the RAACO counter storage, this takes up roughly a tightly packed 6" by 4" bookshelf.

von Marwitz
Oh Wow! Thanks for posting those pictures!
I'm definitely a big proponent of not mixing my Critical Hit Stuff with my general MMP stuff. I try to keep them separate as much as possible saves a lot of time and effort for games.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Your topmost PSK counter stack has fallen.

And the FTs as well

And I don't know WHAT those 228s are doing, but it's like some kind of rave in that bin.
Sieh einmal an!

The Oberst will personally reprimand the culprits and give them the opportunity to reflect upon their imperfect discipline while stacking wet sandbags from one end of the barrack yard to the other.

But at least the 228s were raving in alphabetical order and so fell the PSKs as well...

von Marwitz

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 22556

View attachment 22559

View attachment 22558

von Marwitz
"6" by 4" bookshelf" Do you have those Antman shrinking disks?

Also you say this is a Double core kit?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
"6" by 4" bookshelf" Do you have those Antman shrinking disks?

Also you say this is a Double core kit?
Erm, I mean 6' by 4' of course - I am normally from the meter/centimeter camp...

It is not totally double core:

If available, then 52 squads per type (i.e. 'double' along with a number of HS from two kits).

For vehicles, it is stacks of 6 for most types (so if the single core kit only has 3 of that type, mine has 6 from two kits). For commonly used vehicles (T-34/43, PzIVH, or similar), I take two stacks of 6 per type, making it 'double'.

Similar for Guns. Basic idea is to accumulate stacks of 6 per type to minimize lateral countershifting during transport.

von Marwitz

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Counter storage is simultaneously an art and a science. An art in that you strive for that flourish that makes people go "Damn! wish I'd done that!".
A Science in that maximum efficiency is the goal that makes people go "Damn! wish I'd done that!".

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My motto: If you can find that counter in less than 10 seconds, it's a good system : )

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Some prefer the rugged SK style frontier simplicity of zip lock sandwich bags inside the original boxes. And little groups of unused counters still bound together as they were pushed out of the counter sheets.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My motto: If you can find that counter in less than 10 seconds, it's a good system : )
Is this 10 seconds meant as "cold start" (i.e. you have ALL your kit at a tournament and want to pick a random counter) or rather "hot start", i.e. you have set aside the counter trays necessary for a given scenario?

von Marwitz

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this 10 seconds meant as "cold start" (i.e. you have ALL your kit at a tournament and want to pick a random counter) or rather "hot start", i.e. you have set aside the counter trays necessary for a given scenario?
von Marwitz
It should mean in all cases (incl. tournaments, which I confess I rarely attend), but mainly 'at home' games.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I see.

It does make a difference.

For example, it should take roughly 5 seconds to remove a RAACO Assorter from a RAACO Handy Box. Only then can you retrieve the counter from an Assorter. Doable for Infantry, maybe a bit tight for unusual AFV.

That said, a solution, which is not home-based but also mobile, will have a hard time to beat the 5 seconds to remove an Assorter from a Handy Box.

von Marwitz

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
That good system can be found in the link. About 8 players in Sweden have an identical (or almost the same) sortiment system.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you use boxbox for your vehicle counters as well?
Yes, I've attached a pic of my Russian vehicles and the entire Wermacht OB, all in Box Box. I added a pen for scale and presented the boxes in staircase fashion to demonstrate how I slide them back and forth during play to reach counters in different boxes.

Attachments

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
Counter storage is simultaneously an art and a science. An art in that you strive for that flourish that makes people go "Damn! wish I'd done that!".
A Science in that maximum efficiency is the goal that makes people go "Damn! wish I'd done that!".
I feel like Kanō Jigorō would have said that is he lived to play ASL