HE v. Infantry - Critical Hit TEM reversal question

rossssss

Reaction score
This is probably an easy one.

The situation:

An Italian 65mm INF Howitzer fire on a stack in a single level stone building. He rolls a 1,1 on his TH DR. After Random Selection, the unit(s) selected take a 16FP shot. Does the TEM reversal apply to them? -3 in this case. I'm guessing so based on this wording in C3.71 (my emphasis added): "Furthermore, any positive TEM...which that target would normally be entitled to for TH or IFT purposes is reversed...and applies as a negative DRM to the IFT DR."

Basically I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm reading that correctly. Even though the +3 TEM has already been applied to the shot (Case Q), the reversal still applies to the resolution?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
This is probably an easy one.

The situation:

An Italian 65mm INF Howitzer fire on a stack in a single level stone building. He rolls a 1,1 on his TH DR. After Random Selection, the unit(s) selected take a 16FP shot. Does the TEM reversal apply to them? -3 in this case. I'm guessing so based on this wording in C3.71 (my emphasis added): "Furthermore, any positive TEM...which that target would normally be entitled to for TH or IFT purposes is reversed...and applies as a negative DRM to the IFT DR."

Basically I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm reading that correctly. Even though the +3 TEM has already been applied to the shot (Case Q), the reversal still applies to the resolution?
Yes, the effects DR would be resolved with a -3 on an ITT CH against the affected units.

However, are you sure that 1,1 resulted in a CH? On the ITT against a stone building, you very likely need a subsequent dr to be sure that's a CH.

S

rossssss

Reaction score
Thanks, Spencer.

Hmm, now you've got me confused about CH :)

It was a Basic TH of 8 (no modifications from C4 stuff). +3 TEM +3 Hindrances.

From C3.7: "A CH also occurs while using the Infantry Target Type whenever the Final TH DR is < half the Modified TH# (3.3), or on an Original TH DR of 2 followed by a subsequent dr of 1 or ≤ half of the Modified TH#"

Does "Final TH DR" mean the DR + the relevant DRM (in this case the +6)?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Spencer.

Hmm, now you've got me confused about CH :)

It was a Basic TH of 8 (no modifications from C4 stuff). +3 TEM +3 Hindrances.

From C3.7: "A CH also occurs while using the Infantry Target Type whenever the Final TH DR is < half the Modified TH# (3.3), or on an Original TH DR of 2 followed by a subsequent dr of 1 or ≤ half of the Modified TH#"

Does "Final TH DR" mean the DR + the relevant DRM (in this case the +6)?
Yes, that's exactly what it means. So, on a roll of 2 (final TH 8), you need a subsequent dr of <=4 (the Modified TH is 8, since that only includes Gun size/length and Ammo modifications) to be a CH.

ITT CHs are typically either harder or easier to achieve than VTT/ATT CHs due to this.. The flip side is that if you're running across open ground (-2), ITT CHs happen on 5s or less for firers within 6 hexes.

I know this rule, but I NEVER remember it in the heat of the moment!

S

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...Even though the +3 TEM has already been applied to the shot (Case Q), the reversal still applies to the resolution?
See also C.3 - "No TEM, Hindrance or other DRM ever affects both the To Hit DR and the resulting Effects DR; it affects only one or the other [EXC: CH: 3.71]."

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, that's exactly what it means. So, on a roll of 2 (final TH 8), you need a subsequent dr of <=4 (the Modified TH is 8, since that only includes Gun size/length and Ammo modifications) to be a CH.

ITT CHs are typically either harder or easier to achieve than VTT/ATT CHs due to this.. The flip side is that if you're running across open ground (-2), ITT CHs happen on 5s or less for firers within 6 hexes.

I know this rule, but I NEVER remember it in the heat of the moment!

S
We never remember it either. :angry:

Its a 1,1 followed by yelling CH, CH, CH......:blab::blab::blab:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All target types require a subsequent dr if the original 2 DR is the highest number that will hit the target. For infantry, the CH is still easier to get, <= half the modified TH. On the ATT/VTT, the subsequent dr of only 1 is a turret CH with 2-6 causing normal hull hit. C3.7.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All target types require a subsequent dr if the original 2 DR is the highest number that will hit the target. For infantry, the CH is still easier to get, <= half the modified TH. On the ATT/VTT, the subsequent dr of only 1 is a turret CH with 2-6 causing normal hull hit. C3.7.
IIRC, a 1 is a CH, a 2 is a turret hit, a 3 is a hull hit and 4-6 is a MISS...:hmmm:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
IIRC, a 1 is a CH, a 2 is a turret hit, a 3 is a hull hit and 4-6 is a MISS...:hmmm:
That is for an Improbable Hit, where a TH DR of 1,1 would not even be a hit. But when you roll a 1,1 on the VTT/ATT and you just hit the target with that 1,1 a subsequent dr = 1 is a CH, a 2-6 is a normal hit.

C3.7:
"...If only the lowest Final TH DR possible for that shot would achieve a hit, a CH occurs only on a subsequent dr of 1 following that hit; a 2-6 results in a normal hull hit (or a normal turret hit vs a HD vehicle)..."

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is for an improbable hit, i.e. an original 2 DR is still a miss. Then 1 is CH, 2 is turr., 3 is hull, and 4-6 is a swing and a miss.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You gentlemen are indeed correct. I was quoting for an improbable hit. OOOPs:crosseye: